lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Break-in

http://cartsunlimited.net/Digital_Battery_Meters.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
bigned
Not Yet Wild

Scotty I lied to you not on purpose but I don't have that kind of meter. Mine is meter that has all the lights in a row straight up and down. The light below the top one comes on as the one above goes out and so on. Sorry about that I had no idea there was a meter like you linked to.
bigned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I purchased new batteries on Friday and installed them Saturday.

Ran around the ranch and visited the neighbor on Saturday and Sunday morning. By then the VOM read around 37 volts, so we put it on the manual charger that came with the '89 Marathon.

Inital input from charger was 8 amps., after about 8 or 9 hours it's down to 4 amps and the Group Voltage is like 39 volts. Individual batteries range from low of 6.47 to a high of 6.55 volts. I read the Trojan 'How To' and if I understand if correctly it said a full charge (with charger working), should read 42 volts across group and 7 volts for each individual battery. IS THIS RIGHT...?

If so, I'll be up all night monitoring this manual charger. Can I shut it down, go to bed and start again in the morning without ill effects..??

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Danny aka: SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes you can .... but if I was in your shoes I would be looking hard for an automatic shut-off charger
Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty, I'll shut it off and go to bed.

I'm with you on the Auto-Charger. I've got an inverter/auto-charger on the BIG RIG and it stays plugged into the house all the time.
It's cool and no worries....

Thanks again.
Danny
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
bigned
Not Yet Wild

Ok, here goes. I checked my batteries prior to going for a ride. The batteries tested individually from 7.3 to 7.5. I did not know how to check them for the series so someone please tell me how to do that. When I returned after 30 minutes of driving around starting and stopping on basically level ground with a few small upgrades they ranged from 6.9 to 7.0. I have an automatic charger that shuts off when they are charged so I plugged them back up. I need some help with the other series checking if someone would help me it would be appreciated. My bar meter did drop one bar in that time of travel. thanks
bigned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Batteries that test 'off the chart' have not settled completely after charging.

A 6 volt battery fully charged and settled is 6.37 volts. Anything more than that is surface voltage it can not hold and while you can feel the boost when you first hit the gas ~ That surface voltage burns off quickly.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't mean to piggy-back on Bigned's thread, but I too am trying to break-in a new set of batteries.

So after some 9 hrs on the old Manual EZGO Charger yesterday, this morning we restarted the charger. It still read 4 amps of output and the voltage across the group was 39 volts. This evening after another 9 hours, (18 hours total), of charging the group was still only 40.4 volts with individual readings of 6.7 volts. I checked a few cells and they were bubbling a little and water level was still ok.

So, MY QUESTION IS SHOULD I TOP-OFF THE CELLS AND CHARGE AGAIN TOMORROW OR IS THIS 42 VOLTS UNATTAINABLE....

The old charger says it's a 25 amp unit, it started the charging at around 9 amps and has been at 4 amps for the past 8 hours.

So any thoughts...?

I appreciate all input.

Thanks again.
Danny aka: SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #19
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I found this tid-bit in the Trouble Shooting Section of an instruction manual for a Quick Charge QP Series charger and I would like to know what everyone thinks about it:
-------------------------------------------
3) BATTERIES DON’T RECEIVE FULL CHARGE

a) The battery you are charging may be too large for the charger.

b) If you have the charger plugged into a long extension cord that is too small,
a voltage drop will cause a decrease in charger output, extending charge times.

c) Wrong profile selected
--------------------------------------------
I have been using my charger in a little shack with very minimal electrical connection to the main breaker box quit some distance away.
Maybe tomorrow I will move the cart & charger to the RV hookup I made for visiting guest.

I will let you know if this will allow me to reach the target 42 volts.

Danny aka: Skunkville Scooter
Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

18 hours total but the 8 hr break in the middle didn't help.... I can't tell you how much you need an automatic charger... Take it for a 15 - 20 min. ride and start over......

I suggest you plug it in at 7pm and wake up early... 12 -16 hours should be fine on new batteries. They will require less and less charging as they 'break in'
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO