lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Davemuzz
Getting Wild

Default ScottyB's rear Disc brakes

I use my cart for hunting here in SW. Pa. As such my rear drum brakes see a lot of moisture from puddles, creeks, rain ect.

Now, 4 years ago when I bot my cart, I installed a set of Jakes front disc brakes so I could actually stop when I came down the hills where I live. This was a good thing in that this "stopping" thing kept me alive, plus it also kept my tighty-whities "white".

But, my rear drum brakes have this tendency to squeak when they get wet.....the day after they get wet. I'm quite sure it's just some surface rust, as all I need to do is back the cart up fast, and hit the brakes hard about 2 times and the wretched squeal will go away.

But, I was thinking (which is always dangerous) that if I simply replace the factory drums with ScottyB's disc, I will eliminate this problem.

However, my one concern is that I notice the disc caliper is located at the bottom of the wheel. This concern's me somewhat as I do drive over some "interesting" terrain and encounter rocks, logs, and stuff that will jump up and bite my cart. I have a skid plate for the punkin rear end, and I've had a skid plat fabricated for the controls under the pedals and for the front calipers.

But the rear calipers seem to be in an awkward place and kind of "asking for it." Am I not seeing this right?

Dave
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: ScottyB's rear Disc brakes

Is your cart lifted with the spring on the top?
Maybe there is a chance that someone has a forward facing picture between the spring and rotor so you can see if there is room for the caliper up top beside the spring.
I have the full disc set for Rhobyns Ezgo that's not on yet so I'm wondering the same thing.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Davemuzz
Getting Wild

Crash,

Yeah...mine is lifted with the spring on the top of the axle. Here's a pic.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
wrongway
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemuzz View Post
I use my cart for hunting here in SW. Pa. As such my rear drum brakes see a lot of moisture from puddles, creeks, rain ect.

Now, 4 years ago when I bot my cart, I installed a set of Jakes front disc brakes so I could actually stop when I came down the hills where I live. This was a good thing in that this "stopping" thing kept me alive, plus it also kept my tighty-whities "white".

But, my rear drum brakes have this tendency to squeak when they get wet.....the day after they get wet. I'm quite sure it's just some surface rust, as all I need to do is back the cart up fast, and hit the brakes hard about 2 times and the wretched squeal will go away.

But, I was thinking (which is always dangerous) that if I simply replace the factory drums with ScottyB's disc, I will eliminate this problem.

However, my one concern is that I notice the disc caliper is located at the bottom of the wheel. This concern's me somewhat as I do drive over some "interesting" terrain and encounter rocks, logs, and stuff that will jump up and bite my cart. I have a skid plate for the punkin rear end, and I've had a skid plat fabricated for the controls under the pedals and for the front calipers.

But the rear calipers seem to be in an awkward place and kind of "asking for it." Am I not seeing this right?

Dave
The cable operated rear disc brakes has the caliper mounted on the bottom while the hydraulic operated brakes have the caliper mounted on the rear.. pretty much out of harms way.

Colton flipped his cable operated brakes and mounted the calipers on top...I think this caused some problems with one of the cables and/or brake adjustment. Disc brakes rule....Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I run mine regular. Their normal location is behind the wheel. This
Is a more protected location than the brakes Wrongway is talking about. Those brakes did hang down below the axle. is but I have been off road driving for a long time and I make it a point to always know where each wheel is, this avoids alot of repairs besides, I hate to walk o home.
I have not heard of anybody breaking or damaging a caliper with an off road hazard.
pics in a minute ...

wheelsca brakes at cartsunlimited,net

Scottyb's workhorse build

Scottyb's excellent workhorse build

Homemade Longtravel by scottyb
Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
wrongway
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I run mine regular. Their normal location is behind the wheel. This
Is a more protected location than the brakes Wrongway is talking about. Those brakes did hang down below the axle. is but I have been off road driving for a long time and I make it a point to always know where each wheel is, this avoids alot of repairs besides, I hate to walk o home.
I have not heard of anybody breaking or damaging a caliper with an off road hazard.
pics in a minute ...

wheelsca brakes at cartsunlimited,net

Scottyb's workhorse build

Scottyb's excellent workhorse build

Homemade Longtravel by scottyb
Scotty,

Can Wheelsca rear brakes be added with Jakes front disc..like Dave has?

That's the only reason I mentioned the cable operated ones like Colton used.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't know ... I never had a reason to try. I use hydraulic brakes on 4 or 2 wheels depending upon the cart's needs. This is sort of changing horses mid stream.

I imagine you could get the wheelsca 2 wheel rear disc brake set with the 4 wheel master cylinder and just plumb the jakes brakes into the front supply line.

I have order set ups like this for people who wanted 2 wheel hydraulic brakes now and 4 wheel option for later.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Davemuzz
Getting Wild

Well.....personally I like the idea of having the front independent from the rear. Or vice-versa...however you want to look at it. Because if you lose the front...or the rear, you still have at least two wheels with a set of brakes on 'em.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have never seen a cart 'loose' brakes, front or rear.
I have seen brakes worn to where they do not work... but that is simply a maintenance issue.

I don't know why but the pics I posted of the caliper location on the wheelsca brakes didn't stick above so here they are again.
As you see, they don't hang down. They mount in the rear, behind the axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avatar12345.jpg (176.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg avatar12345_1.jpg (100.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Davemuzz
Getting Wild

In the 4 years I've had my cart, I've not "lost" my brakes yet......but there was one occasion where a log "jamed" under there somehow and the rear cable became "actuated" and I suddenly had 100% rear brakes ON when I didn't expect....didn't need....and didn't want em!!!

And I'm quite certain there will come a time when some "hidden log or rock" will just jump up from under 4" of leaves and "bite" one of my front hydraulic brake lines right off the wheel cylinder.

It will be that time when I will appreciate the fact that I still have rear brakes.

Dave
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO