lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
mfbab
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Headlights?

I have a 1993 ezgo and was wondering if I could just hook up fog lights for headlights. Do I just hook them up using two batteries? I would only run the at night and it would be alot. thanks
mfbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Headlights?

Yes, you can use automotive 12v 55w H3 Halogen Fog Lights or Driving Lights. They will draw around 10 amps combined with conventional tail lights. This is a substantial draw on 2 batteries in the pack. I use this technique without issue, but I manage my pack pretty religiously. You would be better served with a 36-12v convertor, or a dedicated 12v auxiliary battery if you plan on using the 12v items a lot.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"
Default Re: Headlights?

I've been kicking around the concept of hooking up the two 12V headlights in series (for 24V), then paralleling the tail lights (for 12V), then hooking the 12V tail lights in series with the 24V headlights for a total of 36V. Connect the positive side of this whole thing through the switch to turn 'em all on at once.

This would actually lower the current draw on the wires that feed the lighting system.

That would avoid the problem of draining two batteries when the lights were on - the load would be across all 6 batteries. For a 48V system, just connect the taillights in series. You'd want to put a 5A fuse in line with all that, too.

The downside of this, of course, is the Christmas light syndrome. If one headlight burns out, all your lights are out.

RLW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lightwiring.jpg (45.0 KB, 0 views)
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO