lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Ronniek
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Radio addition & battery drain

I added a radio a few months ago to my 09 48v RXV. I didn't have a voltage reducer so for now I wired it to one battery. After two different rides that were over 1 1/2 hours long (full charge in between) towards the end if I would go full throttle the radio would cut off until I went about halfway throttle. A friend says I need a voltage reducer.
My question is would the reducer solve my problem? I just don't understand the problem that a radio would drain one battery even if the batteries are in sequence?
Please, set me straight.

Thanks,
Ronnie
Ronniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Ronniek
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Radio addition & battery drain

Ok, did a search before my post but didn't read far enough. Anyways, I believe I found the answer.

This came from TahoeDawgZ71:
You nailed it. However, the cart shouldn't draw enough current on a healthy battery to make the voltage drop low enough to kill the power to the radio. Do you have the radio hooked up to just the 1 12 volt battery? Is the memory wire hooked up on the radio? If so, how long has it been installed this way? That memory wire will destroy a battery in no time due to it's constant draw and the un-synchronization effect it has on the battery pack. You want to keep your batteries as equal to each other as possible. If you don't, you'll destroy them. A 48-12 volt converter is a must for proper stereo installations. It will allow for a constant draw, but at the same time it will allow for an even draw that is balanced across the entire battery pack and will not cause any ill effects.

Thanks!
Ronniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO