lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart bogs down on inclines

"He used a hydrometer and load tester and said they were all good."

Since this was an Interstate rep, I would hope he would have used the correct load tester. He also seemed knowledgeable enough to tell you the approximate age, based on case design.

Just tryin' to save you a buck or two. You'll need to buy new ones one day, but I always hate reading posts from folks who randomly replace parts, only to find out it didn't solve the real problem.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
96rv
Not Yet Wild

I tried to do some of the suggesting voltage testing over the weekend. When I had the batteries removed to install the new battery rack last week, I hooked two batteries together and charged each pair for 24 hours on a 12 volt charger. They sat for a couple of days before I got them back in the cart. I drove it about a half mile on the road and then hooked it up to the EZGO 36 volt charger. This charger is an EZGO Total Charge. It has a dial numbered 1-12 which I thought was a 12 hour timer. I turned the knob to start and when I checked it about 10 hours later the charger was off. I thought someone shut it off so the next day I turned the knob to start again. When I checked about an hour later it was off again. Does the charger automatically shut off when the batteries are fully charged? The cart sat for 24-36 hours before I was able to do the tests. At that time the battery pack voltage measured 37.7 volts. The individual batteries were all about 6.5 volts. I also checked the pack voltage as I was going up hill. It dropped to and stayed around 35.5 volts. It did drop momentarily to 34.9 just before the paved road leveled off. Is this within the acceptable range?
96rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #13
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need to get a proper charger , a smart charger( DPI Accusense ) would be a good start 37 .7 volts is low you need the pack voltage to be 38.4 for 100% SOC
Check the sponsors out on site
Cheers !
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

As I understand it, your charger is doing what it's supposed to. "Start" initiates a charge, then it either times out, or stops when the batteries are charged, and "tells" you how long it was on charge.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rv View Post
I also checked the pack voltage as I was going up hill. It dropped to and stayed around 35.5 volts. It did drop momentarily to 34.9 just before the paved road leveled off. Is this within the acceptable range?
YES, running voltages and at rest pack voltages are different animals, the RUNING voltages you posted are fine.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #16
96rv
Not Yet Wild

I did the resting voltage test again. I ran the cart some then put it on the charger. I believe it charged for 12 hours or close to it. 12 hours later I checked the pack and individual voltages. Pack voltage was 37.8. Five of the individuals were 6.3 and one was 6.2. The charger is putting out between 46 and 47 volts which I was told is correct. Since the resting voltage is low do I need new batteries or will these do for a while? Would new batteries make a big difference?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Since you have a series buggy, there's nothing you can hurt by driving it 'til it's dead. Don't "push" it on hills that it can't tackle, but other than that, get your money's worth on those batteries. Once they p!ss you off, buy new ones.

And now's a good time to decide whether you want to upgrade your controller and battery voltage.

JohnnyB did see an improvement on SOC on his old batteries by just repeatedly charging them. Worth a try.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
You need to get a proper charger , a smart charger( DPI Accusense ) would be a good start 37 .7 volts is low you need the pack voltage to be 38.4 for 100% SOC
Check the sponsors out on site
Cheers !
Let's decide whether it's gonna be a 36 volt, 42 volt, or 48 volt buggy first.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Since you have a series buggy, there's nothing you can hurt by driving it 'til it's dead. Don't "push" it on hills that it can't tackle, but other than that, get your money's worth on those batteries. Once they p!ss you off, buy new ones.

And now's a good time to decide whether you want to upgrade your controller and battery voltage.

JohnnyB did see an improvement on SOC on his old batteries by just repeatedly charging them. Worth a try.
96rv.......the above is good advice^^^. take it. Its exactly what I would have told you and what I would do in your situation as well.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #20
96rv
Not Yet Wild

I'll keep driving her till the batteries give out. Thanks for the advice. By the way, what does SOC stand for? I guess to change the voltage I would need to change the controller and motor? It's good to know that's an option. It's something I hadn't even considered.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO