lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
Oswego Bill
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Lester Matic 36 Volt Charger with timer knob not working/charging

Check your charger with multi-meter on the plug at end of charger cable to see if it is the charger or the cart, should test somewhere around 43.6.
Oswego Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego Bill View Post
Check your charger with multi-meter on the plug at end of charger cable to see if it is the charger or the cart, should test somewhere around 43.6.

*Update*

*I get about 2.5-3.0 volts at crows foot with charger plugged into the wall outlet

* diodes = testing from lead to base both ways (ie red to base and black to lead on diode and vise a verse) open no resistance

*capacitor "looks" ok, but I dont know how to test it?

Capitor is not leaking, nor does it "look" swollen
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

CRK,
If the diodes measure "open" (no conductivity, infinite resistance), they're shot. Get a new pair, install them, and you're good to go.

If the capacitors were bad, I don't think it'd hum nearly as loudly. But, you could measure the AC voltage at the diodes, place your meter leads on the wires on the end of the diodes. I've not done this, so am guessing, but I'd expect to see 65VAC, maybe more. If the caps are bad, that voltage would be much lower. Don't forget to set your DVM for AC volts, not DC.

This is one source for diodes: http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/catego...harger-Diodes/ Probably, one of our site sponsors has them, and I've had good luck simply doing a search. Sometimes, ending up on Amazon, believe it or not.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

Im thinking of replacing both the cap and diodes... its cheap enough.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #25
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

*Last Update*

Charger is working! WoooHooo

What fixed it = Capacitor = $30.00

(My diode test did not work because I did not disconnect them)

This charger will charge with the batteries at any SOC = it DOES NOT need any voltage from the cart to turn on.

Tahoe Dawg is the MAN!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRK View Post
*Last Update*

Charger is working! WoooHooo

What fixed it = Capacitor = $30.00

(My diode test did not work because I did not disconnect them)

This charger will charge with the batteries at any SOC = it DOES NOT need any voltage from the cart to turn on.

Tahoe Dawg is the MAN!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

CRK,
Congrats!

As you point out, this charger is "dumb" (as opposed to a "smart" charger), but that does offer some advantages. Such as ability to begin charging truly dead batteries. And my favorite: ability to charge for a very short time to top off a mostly-charged pack.

Of course, that leaves the brains up to you, you must figure out how long a period to dial in on the timer. Too many of those "top off charges" without an occasional longer charge can leave the electrolyte stratified.

But, used with some understanding of both the charger and the batteries, and your [expensive] battery pack will work as well and last as long as with any other charger. If your batteries are maintained by a know-nothing kid or somesuch, you're better off with something that doesn't require thinking on their part.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
CRK,
Congrats!

As you point out, this charger is "dumb" (as opposed to a "smart" charger), but that does offer some advantages. Such as ability to begin charging truly dead batteries. And my favorite: ability to charge for a very short time to top off a mostly-charged pack.

Of course, that leaves the brains up to you, you must figure out how long a period to dial in on the timer. Too many of those "top off charges" without an occasional longer charge can leave the electrolyte stratified.

But, used with some understanding of both the charger and the batteries, and your [expensive] battery pack will work as well and last as long as with any other charger. If your batteries are maintained by a know-nothing kid or somesuch, you're better off with something that doesn't require thinking on their part.
Good info thanks!

Since the timmer is what it is, I use the meter on the charger and my dvm to determin soc. I also have a analog meter that came on the cart that I use just for quick glance/guesstimate soc of the pack.

I truley love these old carts and chargers.. They are so raw, unrefined, and bulit to last forever. They are strong, slow, and like an old steam engine locomotive, just cool.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car