lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #31
crash test dummy

Default Re: Battery questions 48v -99

load testing golf cart batteries site:www.buggiesgonewild.com
2,060 results
https://www.google.com/search?q=load...esgonewild.com
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #32
crash test dummy

golf cart bubbling during charge site:www.buggiesgonewild.com
274 results
https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.edkNfyxYDzc
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
The " boiling " is called gassing, and is perfectly normal towards the end of the charge. Also check and only fill to the indicator after you have charged the batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
It's normal for the batteries to boil, that is why they use vented caps on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
You should only fill batteries after they are fully charged. If they are way low you can partially fill them to cover the plates before charging but dont' fill them to the full level. The level will rise and the fluid will bubble during charging. It is normal for a very small amount to work it's way out after a bunch of charging. I clean my batteries every time I clean my cart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
A high finishing charge voltage (well above 45v on a 36v cart) could be putting the batterys deep into gassing voltage territory, greatly increasing the bubbling in the battery. The bubbles shoot a tiny droplet of electrolyte straight up when they pop (kinda like the bubbles in carbonated drinks), building up on and in the vent caps, eventually escaping the cap and ending up on the tops of the batteries. Also, i agree with the above statement about the battery vent cap seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Batterys bubbling is NORMAL when charging for ( NEW OR OLD BATTERYS ) Thats why in the old days 1934-1960 that chargers worked at a much smaller amp rate. Since the advent of alternators on autos its acceptable to have a higher rate of charge along with more bubbling during charge cycle.
If charging is causing batterys to require distilled water all the time then there is some reason to check out battery and charging systems. I have 5 year old batterys in my Club Car and I have only added water ( TWICE IN A YEAR ) to maintain proper levels. Im a cheap distilled water purchaser? My charger is a higher amp rated charger than most because it will start at 20-25 amps and then tapper off to shut off point. Im seeing chargers for Club Car with only 15-20 amp rates, might be because of 12 volt batterys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You need a voltmeter to determine if the charger is working properly. Bubbling or gassing is not n indication of a complete charge cycle. The charger will run at 3-5 amps for several hours in the 3rd phase of the charge cycle. It seems that the charger's amp gauge is reading low? But you are not allowing it to finish. Only a meter will tell ..... the pack will reach 42-44v when it is completely charged up and the charger will shut off at that voltage. Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
There are no lame questions. Batteries will perculate and make bubbling, hissing and other strange noises. It is normal.
If you replaced only one battery of six it will be worse for the new battery. The other 5 batteries require more time to charge and the new battery will get over-charged. Sometimes you have to deal with that as batts are very expensive. It is recomended to replace the whole pack at one time. ouch!
If you're new and not aware of the maintenance for batteries and cables there is probably a manul for review in the ezgo electric section of the home page. It would be in the owners manual. I have one in front of me. let me see if we have one online

WELCOME to the FORUM! It's under electric ezgo. "electric cart owners read before posting" There's a good summary of general maintenance. If you have more questions we're here. I never saw that before
Old 09-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #33
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok now that the piss fight seems to be over. What I originally said was

Quote:
Load test and voltage tests are too inconclusive
I didn't say they were useless. You can't say a battery is really bad just because of an at home load test. Who's to say how big or little a load was used for the test. Checking for any cells that are not bubbling is just another indication that a cell is bad.

With that I would like invite all of our readers to check for the presence of electrolysis(bubbling) in all of their battery cells the next time they think they have a battery problem or their charger won't shut off. Also the voltage has to be above 56v or so.
Your welcome in advance
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #34
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
This came from trojan batteries own website. And their "battery user guide pdf".....discharge testing is what ezgo, yamaha, garia, and our battery distributor require to qualify their batteries for warranty replacement. Yes, discharge tests do provide valid info for battery condition, or at least the people who made the batteries say it does.
Crown and Exide too

Old 09-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #35
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

CTD Did you read what you posted? From the article "Load testing is not an approved method for measuring deep cycle battery capacity." And when they do use it they have special equipment to do it. Not some Mickey Mouse "connect your meter and ride up and down the street to see how much the voltage drops.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car