lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #1
shyster66
Not Yet Wild

Default Black box batteries really Trojan??

Hey everyone. I need six 8v batteries for my 2002 club car. I started researching batteries this morning on the internet. Every website you go to says "call for pricing". With it being Sunday and most places are closed, I sent out a bunch of emails stating what I needed and asked for them to reply with name brands and amp hours. I received an email from a golf cart dealer, saying he had "black box batteries by Trojan for $875. (Yes, $875! In Canada! LOL,,.. plus tax would be around $1000). He said to let him know soon too as he wont be able to hold that price for long as the American dollar will change.
Anyway, I started researching these black boxes by Trojan and cant come up with a real definitive answer as to if these are really Trojan batteries or not. Someone said Trojan does not make these. Having absolutely no stickers or markings on them other than a stamp on the terminals of MFG date(its what I read), seems like a real red flag to me. I haven't received any other replies yet so I cant compare any pricing. I think I did see one website that had the t-875 brown box Trojans for $169 a piece which works out to around $1150 taxes in.....I guess for the extra $150-$200 I should probably go with the brown box?
Also he didn't include the amp hours in his reply when I specifically asked for that..... Does anyone have a concrete answer? Thx
shyster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Black box batteries really Trojan??

Not being able to offer that price long is the oldest sells trick in the book. Check with same dealer in six months and they will tell you the same thing.

The old saying applies here. Don't buy a pig in a poke.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
crash test dummy

http://www.trojanbatterysales.com/ve...olf-batteries/
Old 03-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is a question of brand ownership cleverly disguised (or manipulated) for Marketing purposes.

If You follow the link Crash posted, Trojan Battery Sales, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Trojan Battery Co, which owns brands like: Odyssey, Optima, Fullriver, Powertron, etc...

This would be like implying: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Porsche being made by Volkswagen.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
shyster66
Not Yet Wild

Thx for the speedy replies everyone.
At least the powertron battery that crash test posted, has a name brand sticker on it and such. I did check out the link too.
I came across one picture yesterday that I described in my other post. No stickers etc. And the guy that replied to me didn't mention anything other than Trojan black box. You would think he would have said "Powertron by Trojan" or something. If indeed these are the batteries with no stickers,you really don't know what you are getting. No amp hours in the reply either.
I received 2 emails (replies)this morning. One guy only offers the Trojan T875 for $170 a piece exchange and gave me the amp hours. Another guy replied and told me Trojan T875 for $218.88, and Crown CR165 for $175.85. He also gave me a detailed amp hour rating for each battery.
Oh the joys of living in Canada!! HAHA. Expensive as He__!
Do you guys think I should spend the extra $150 and get the T875's or call buddy and ask him exactly what the black box ones are?
The reason im asking all this is because I did read a bunch of posts in here on this matter before I joined. Really seems like you guys know a lot about the batteries....Thx again
BTW, I have a 2002 club car that I bought from a dealer 2 yrs ago and had constant problems with the crappy used batteries. 1 battery kept dying and bringing the other ones down. He replaced 1 the first year and 2 last year(honoring his warranty).
Old 03-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
crash test dummy

if they are powertron i'd get them i use them all the time and i'm very impressed with their performance
Old 03-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

My advise to you would be to drive to a dealer to buy the batteries. The freight for delivering the new batteries and returning the cores will probably be as much or more than the batteries. That is unless you are way up in the great white north, then have them shipped.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
cmar143
Gone Wild

The Trojan corp manufactures Powertron batteries. Trojan has changed the name of all there branch warehouses, at least here in FL and put there name on them within the last month. They do carry a line of items that they dont make themselves like Optima and others but they did purchase the Powertron brand about 10 years ago from what I understand to gain a larger market share. While the production facility for Powertron probably doesnt say Trojan on the front the Trojan Corp is the one financing the operation and they are made in the USA. I know this because I am a dealer in SW FL for Trojan and Powertron and have had very good success with the Powertron batteries. I have seen customers get 8-9 years out of a set surprisingly. So many people buy golf carts and put the cheapest batteries they can find in them, but for the price I think these are the best out there personally. The P2000 6V is equivalent to the T605 and the P8000 8V to the T875 give or take 5-10Ah. They also make a P2200 to match the T105 and P2500 to match the T145. And they have a P9000 8V with exact specs to T890. If your dealer sells Trojan they can get Powertron's and like I said earlier the difference should be about $100 per set.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
shyster66
Not Yet Wild

LOL...I definitely would be picking them up. God only knows what they would charge to ship them. Plus its only a half hour away. Im in Sw Ontario, only 2 hours from Detroit. If our dollar wasn't so low I would probably go across the border and get them.
Thx for everyones help. I haven't decided yet. Im gonna email everyone back and see if anyone can beat the $170 for the T875. Also gonna email the other guy and get some detail on the black box Trojans...
Cheers...
Old 11-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
Gpaq17
Not Yet Wild

In the same boat and wanted to see what you decided to do? If you went black box, how have they held up?
Gpaq17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car