lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
lalord69
Not Yet Wild

Default bad charger? bad obc? bad batteries? charges but not fully then stops

i have a 1997 48v club car, it runs ok but the stock charger does not seem to be charging the batteries or it stops before they are charged?

if i connect the charger it starts at 15amp then after 1hr or less it goes to 10amps then 10 mins later goes to 5amp and then a few mins after the charger shuts down and the batteries are not fully charged!!!!

i checked the volt being send to the pack and its 48v to 52v eventually

i have to disconnect the charger from the wall and car and wait 10mins and plug everything back on to start charging again!!

should i bypass the obc to charge the pack and put a timer? bad batteries? bad charger?

the charger is a 20amp 48v power drive charger
lalord69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This sounds familiar.....what kind of charger is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: bad charger? bad obc? bad batteries? charges but not fully then stops

The first thing to do if You have not done it yet is to reset the OBC.

Just disconnect the pack negative cable for more than 10 minutes then reconnected it again.

The next few charges after that should take longer as the OBC uses a different charging method to determine the overall health/baseline of the pack.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
mini@avette
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: bad charger? bad obc? bad batteries? charges but not fully then stops

I just had the same problem. I noticed my cart just wasn't performing the same and my batteries are only 1 1/2 years old. My charger would start but would go off prematurely. Last week I plugged in my charger and noticed the amp gauge on the meter didn't move. Well after a week off testing it was my OBC. I went with a new Lester charger and bypassed my OBC. Cart is now running better than ever.
mini@avette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
lalord69
Not Yet Wild

sorry about the late response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270Handiman View Post
This sounds familiar.....what kind of charger is it?
it is a power drive 17930

Quote:
The first thing to do if You have not done it yet is to reset the OBC.

Just disconnect the pack negative cable for more than 10 minutes then reconnected it again.

The next few charges after that should take longer as the OBC uses a different charging method to determine the overall health/baseline of the pack.
doing this as we speak

Quote:
I just had the same problem. I noticed my cart just wasn't performing the same and my batteries are only 1 1/2 years old. My charger would start but would go off prematurely. Last week I plugged in my charger and noticed the amp gauge on the meter didn't move. Well after a week off testing it was my OBC. I went with a new Lester charger and bypassed my OBC. Cart is now running better than ever.
i hope this is not the issue...is bypassing the OBC the only way to find out if the OBC is bad?

Last edited by lalord69; 03-21-2016 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: added answers
Old 03-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check your battery voltages. In the past I had a situation where the batteries seemed to charge faster than normal. Keep in mind that they only looked like they charged. But when I drove a mile or 2 down the road they were already getting weak. How old are your batteries?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
lalord69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
Check your battery voltages. In the past I had a situation where the batteries seemed to charge faster than normal. Keep in mind that they only looked like they charged. But when I drove a mile or 2 down the road they were already getting weak. How old are your batteries?
4 batts are less than a yr old, the other 2 maybe 1.5/2yrs..
Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalord69 View Post
4 batts are less than a yr old, the other 2 maybe 1.5/2yrs..
Are they mismatched in size and/or brand?

Your battery pack is only as good as your worst battery and very soon after being installed new batteries are brought down to the level of the old batteries due to the old batteries not charging well the new batteries get cooked...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
lalord69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Are they mismatched in size and/or brand?

Your battery pack is only as good as your worst battery and very soon after being installed new batteries are brought down to the level of the old batteries due to the old batteries not charging well the new batteries get cooked...
they are mismatched but they were before too and the charger never turned off so little after pluging in...

i have tested the batts and all are low after the charge (7.1v) or less individually...
Old 03-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalord69 View Post
they are mismatched but they were before too and the charger never turned off so little after pluging in...

i have tested the batts and all are low after the charge (7.1v) or less individually...
That is indeed low... Have you tried resetting the OBC yet? Disconnect your pack negative for at least 10 to 15 minutes, then reconnect and try charging again.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, obc, stock charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car