lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Anyone Have A Good Tutorial On Brakes?

I need to replace the rear brakes on my '03 Carryall 48V Turf 1. The shoes are nearly down to the metal. I've caught it in time, drums are fine, but I've never changed brakes on a cart before. Any tips? It looks pretty straightforward from what I can tell....remove old shoe (2 springs connected) and replace with new, correct? Again, anything you can throw at me I'm all ears!
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Anyone Have A Good Tutorial On Brakes?

the best way I've found is of course loosen the lugnuts on both rear tires, jack up the cart place the axle on jack stands. Remember to release the parking brake, then remove the the brake drums from both sides. Now with a pair of needle nose pliers release the spring clips holding the brake shoes in place. Then remove the upper brake spring and the shoes should come off in your hand. Now the long shoe in your package of new ones is the front shoe (its square on the top and tapered on the bottom) and the more squared off one on both ends will the rear shoe. If you get confused just look at the other side that is still together.

Now clean the area really well with brake cleaner remembering to reset the brake adjuster by running the screw back in, lube the adjuster. then place the front shoe in the housing, putting the tapered end into the flat tip end on the adjuster, then put the spring clip on to hold it in place, then do the same with the rear shoe. Now comes the fun part the springs, I've found a needle nose vise grip to work really well here, I would put the top spring on first, then the bottom.

Now test fit the brake drum, to ensure there is proper resistence shoe to drum. if its not lightly scrubing it is to loose, then just spin the star nut on the adjuster. Then put everything back on and go for a test drive.

also long version

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ng-brakes.html

Last edited by crash test dummy; 04-15-2016 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Doc
Gone Wild

Thanks Crash Test....it seems pretty straightforward...I'll make sure to post my results. Again, thank for taking the time to post!
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
crash test dummy

the needle nose vice grips are also great for removing top springs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car