lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Gears, motors, or give up?

So I've asked this question a few different ways. If what I'm looking for out of a golf cart is unrealistic somebody tell me.

2013 Precedent, XCT 500 amp controller, 2gauge cables, heavy duty solenoid, factory motor. I'm just looking for a little more speed up hills. Pretty happy with the 23 or so mph I'm getting on flat ground just slowing down too much on hills. I know that I should expect to slow down going uphill, However I want to go faster than I am now. Would a high torque motor with high speed gears be the answer or will I just lose all the torque with the gears.

I'm getting up to 19mph on a long slow hill now, but I just want to be able to get cars off my bumper a little easier.
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How many volts is you cart set up for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gears, motors, or give up?

Talk to Plum Quick they can build you a motor such as the Executioner with an emphasis on torque over speed to give you some extra oumph going up the hills. Also what is your battery bank? Is is a 12/48 or 8/48 and what size and age are your batteries? After building my cart and learning as I go I sure wish that I had gone with extra capacity batteries and perhaps even a 700 amp build but I've got too much money invested to do over again.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #4
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Talk to Plum Quick they can build you a motor such as the Executioner with an emphasis on torque over speed to give you some extra oumph going up the hills. Also what is your battery bank? Is is a 12/48 or 8/48 and what size and age are your batteries? After building my cart and learning as I go I sure wish that I had gone with extra capacity batteries and perhaps even a 700 amp build but I've got too much money invested to do over again.
Thanks. 6/8v brand new interstate
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

More torque means better acceleration. More horsepower means more speed.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it were me I would speak with the motor builders directly. Plum Quick, D&D, EMP. I might even start with ScottyB (carts unlimited). Not a motor builder but knowledgeable and has access to custom winds, I think. Also, talk to David and Revolution http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com

72v would probably do it.

Lithium conversion would probably do it.

An AC motored cart would do it. Either convert yours or start over with a factory one. EZGO, Star, Garcia and others make them.

None of this is cheap. Custom wound motor may be the best and cheapest way to go.

What you want is certainly possible. My AC motored (48v) cart holds 20+ up hills now and other than 20" tires is stock
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

What you are trying to accomplish can be done with the right motor. The trick here is going to be getting exactly the right motor that adds some grunt without hurting your top speed in the process. Talk to D&D or Plum Quick. Either should be able to provide what you need.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson521dc View Post
Thanks. 6/8v brand new interstate
1) In the end you still have a stock motor even though you may be getting some extra HP out of it; it is still a stock motor...

2) Again what size or amp hour batteries you installed have an end effect on how much energy they are able give up on demand too...
Old 04-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
1) In the end you still have a stock motor even though you may be getting some extra HP out of it; it is still a stock motor...

2) Again what size or amp hour batteries you installed have an end effect on how much energy they are able give up on demand too...
Agree on the batteries but not on the motor. Can't speak to exactly what Plum Quick would do but my D&D is not a rebuilt stock motor. It is new throughout.

TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Agree on the batteries but not on the motor. Can't speak to exactly what Plum Quick would do but my D&D is not a rebuilt stock motor. It is new throughout.
I meant that the OP has a stock untouched motor so no matter that he has a 500 amp controller the motor will only draw and produce just so much XX.X horse power...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car