lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ez go stopped on rough ground

1996 EZ Go, serial# 976822.
I wish I had seen this forum before I jumped in head first and bought a cart I thought was a bargain. I am old enough to know better. Test drive went fine. Loaded on trailer the next morning unloaded fine went down a rough driveway about 75 yards and quit. Pushed it back to house and voltage not great but over 36. Would not move. After it sat an hour or so moved it to garage and it quit again. I am cleaning all electrical connections and charging batteries individually. Batteries were all 6.29 to 6.39 before charging so I filled with distiller water and started charging. None of the plates were exposed but all were low.
Further suggestions appreciated.
Thanks I am new to the cart world
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez go stopped on rough ground

Ps the test drive included going down rough alleys in town. Never played golf in my life I have other uses.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The more I read the more I learn. Duh. Series cart F/R switch on front of seat does not have tow switch. I think it is the controller has a number P261533 on it with a 6 pole connector but only has 4 wires. Red, orange, green or black, and white. P261533 on google didn't help.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You have a 1996 TXT Series (Series meaning a series wound motor)

You can download Owner, Service and Parts manuals from this thread in the Stickies.
They are the three .pdf file near the top. They are for a later model year, but EZGO didn't change their carts much over the years.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

-------------
When the cart won't run, does the solenoid click?
If not, the problem is in the solenoid activation circuit.
If so, the problem is in the High Current loop.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Does it have larger than stock tires?

My series solenoid started becoming intermittent after I drove it hard (all stock). You could hear it click, but the contacts weren't contacting.

As you read more, you see the reed switch being mentioned a LOT, however, once they fail, they don't come back, and you mentioned that yours ran at least once more after dying.

If you don't have one, invest in a digital volt meter (DVM). They can be picked up at any Lowes or Home Depot for $10 - $15, and will serve you well in maintaining and troubleshooting your cart.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

you are on your way.....so for now.....CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies.
All of the batteries are disconnected so I can't listen for the solenoid right now. I will follow up when I get it all hooked back up. One of the battery cables was loose and had arced.
It has stock tires and looks like everything else is stock and maybe original.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I unhooked most all connections before I found this forum. I cleaned those connections and hooked them back up. It runs now but I am not sure of the problem. The bad battery connection was allowing the voltage to show OK but I don't think it was allowing enough current to activate the cart. I did by pass the reed switch because it was showing resistance with continuity test. Any way it runs right now time will tell if it is fixed. I didn't want to get to far from the house.
Can I tow the cart with the tab on the front axle?? How far can I tow it? The cart does not have a tow switch on the controller cover.
Thanks for a great forum!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I unhooked most all connections before I found this forum. I cleaned those connections and hooked them back up. It runs now but I am not sure of the problem. The bad battery connection was allowing the voltage to show OK but I don't think it was allowing enough current to activate the cart. I did by pass the reed switch because it was showing resistance with continuity test. Any way it runs right now time will tell if it is fixed. I didn't want to get to far from the house.
Can I tow the cart with the tab on the front axle?? How far can I tow it? The cart does not have a tow switch on the controller cover.
Thanks for a great forum!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear it is running.

The bracket with a hole in it welded onto the front axle was put there for towing the cart and the distance it can be towed is basically as far as it needs to be towed, however the speed at which it can be towed is limited.

It is a direct drive system so the motor spins whenever the wheels turn.
Neutral on the F/R lever is electrical neutral, not mechanical.

The stock differential gear ratio is 12.44:1, so the motor spins nearly 12.5 times each time the tires make one rotation and you probably want to keep the towing speed under 25 MPH. (5800RPM on stock height tires.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO