lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
mowin
Not Yet Wild

Default charger issues???

Powerwise charger is humming but its not plugged into the cart. Will it still turn off automatically? Or will it overcharge my pack boiling the water out of the batteries?. And what needs to be replaced in the charger? If it can even be fixed... Cart is a '05, but not sure of model. Forward/reverse lever is by right knee.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: charger issues???

If the charger is humming when not plugged into cart, the relay has been bypassed and it will not shut off automatically.

The typical reason for bypassing the relay is because the control board is bad, so you most likely need to replace the control board.

It is normal for wet cell batteries too bubble while charging, and there is no heat involved so the bubbling is "gassing" rather than "boiling" and distilled water must be added periodically.

There is little danger on overcharging batteries with a ferroresonant transformer design charger, but to be on the safe side, limit the charge time to 16 hours until you get it fixed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
mowin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If the charger is humming when not plugged into cart, the relay has been bypassed and it will not shut off automatically.

The typical reason for bypassing the relay is because the control board is bad, so you most likely need to replace the control board.

It is normal for wet cell batteries too bubble while charging, and there is no heat involved so the bubbling is "gassing" rather than "boiling" and distilled water must be added periodically.

There is little danger on overcharging batteries with a ferroresonant transformer design charger, but to be on the safe side, limit the charge time to 16 hours until you get it fixed.
JohnnieB, Weird thing is the charger just started doing this . I've had the cart for 2 yrs now and charger has always worked fine, and i'm not thinking someone took my charger apart and bypassed the relay without me knowing about it, lol. Do you still think its the control board?? I'll make sure it's not plugged in for anymore than 16 hrs.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
JohnnieB, Weird thing is the charger just started doing this . I've had the cart for 2 yrs now and charger has always worked fine, and i'm not thinking someone took my charger apart and bypassed the relay without me knowing about it, lol. Do you still think its the control board?? I'll make sure it's not plugged in for anymore than 16 hrs.
It is possible that the relay contacts are welded close. But I don't think the relay is sold separately, so it still needs a control board.

The electronics on the control board usually goes bad, so you might be able to find an old one with a good relay.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
mowin
Not Yet Wild

Looks like I'm in the market for a control board then. Thanks JohnnieB
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO