lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Sethjamto
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2003 TXT Series upgrade questions

Looking to maybe do an upgrade to my 36v series cart. I have brand new US145 batteries and 22" tires. The cart is mainly used around the neighborhood on flat ground, but I do hunt with it also with some moderate hills. I'm currently getting about 15mph out of it by GPS. I'd love around 20mph with more torque also for hills and hunting. I have a back seat and also hope to haul deer on it. I'd would need at least a 15 mile range per charge while hunting over moderate hills.

I'd like to go 48 volts, but that's not in the cards right now, but maybe the future.

What package from scottyb would get me to where I want to be?
Sethjamto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 TXT Series upgrade questions

For torque, you'll need more amperage. You already have larger tires so higher amperage "may" help on speed. Usually the only way to get more speed with a series cart is higher voltage and/or faster gears, and/or a high speed motor. Tires and gears accomplish the same thing.

If you get a 400 or 500 amp controller, heavy (or super) duty solenoid, HD FNR larger cables, that probably won't get you any more speed, unless your current controller is limiting with the bigger tires. ScottyB can hook you up with a package that will be upgradable to 48 volts when you want the extra speed.

My sig below shows what I did. If you plan on hunting, a high speed motor may not be your best option. I'd stick with your stock motor. Mine did just fine, until I got the speed bug.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Sethjamto
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Scottyb?

What say you?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I say you will need every bit of 48v and 15 miles of hills is stretching it unless you tow a trailer of batteries, LOL.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

.. another candidate for the Honda hybrid solution? :)
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Sethjamto
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I say you will need every bit of 48v and 15 miles of hills is stretching it unless you tow a trailer of batteries, LOL.
My definition of hills ain't much really. From the hunt camp to the farthest spot I hunt is 3.8 miles one way, so really just 8-10 miles max round trip, but I want to be on the safe side. Can I gain a few MPH and a little torque with one of your packages?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you're getting around OK now, but would like more duration, speed and power, then batteries, wires and controller are the way to go.

I picked up Scotty's 400A Alltrax controller, 7 new Trojans (6V), and when my local guy made up 2ga wires for the motor connections (I'd asked for 4ga), I went ahead and had him make the rest in 2ga as well.

I went 42V for more power for hills, and more overall duration. On equal terrain, same driving style, more voltage means you need less current, and therefore you'll get more run time. Of course you get the additional benefits of the higher voltage - quicker acceleration, higher top speed, and more power (torque) for hills. I actually have the speed limited to 50% (=10mph) and acceleration turned down, as we use the cart at horse shows and don't need a drag cart! Reprogramming is so simple, however, I am going to relocate the solenoid so I can quickly switch it back to full power.

I'm on DCS so my F/R is low-current, but if you have the series cart, you'll also need to upgrade your F/R switch, or that will be a potential point of failure.

Only my motor is stock now, and although I originally planned not to upgrade until it failed, I'm now considering a slightly lower speed, higher torque motor that will give us better hill performance..
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Sethjamto
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

No other recommendations?? Scottyb??
Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can't get there from here without going up in voltage. Given a 36v operating system you are limited to about 15mph. No matter how big a speed control you put in it, the top speed remains the same in your cart. But you can upgrade the controller cables and F&R with an eye towards 48v and a big motor one day to reach or exceed your goals - these upgrades will increase torque and operating efficiency now. Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Sethjamto
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

That does help. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO