lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
gwgator
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 EZ GO Intermittent power loss problem

I have a lifted 2008 cart that I use for hunting. It has a stock motor and a 500 amp Alltrax controller and 400a solenoid I purchased from ScottyB. I just upgraded it from 36v to 48v and changed the resistor also supplied by Scotty.

The cart will take off sometimes with great acceleration (obviously at full power) and other times it won't. It will also be running along at full power and then lose power. It never completely loses power but you can tell that you aren't getting the full 48 volts.

The voltmeter shows a full charge and the batteries are brand new.

It's possible that this was going on before the upgrade and maybe it just wasn't as noticeable with the 36v power.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
gwgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 EZ GO Intermittent power loss problem

Which drive system is this?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
gwgator
Not Yet Wild

PDS. I bought package #909.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check for worn insulation on Field windings wires where they are routed around battery box.

Also, has ITS box or the PDS to DCX adapter gotten wet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
gwgator
Not Yet Wild

Checked the wires and they are not chafed. The cart did get wet a couple years ago but the batteries, cables, speed controller, solenoid, etc have all been replaced since then. The motor was also taken apart and cleaned after that.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Just so we're clear, the controller upgrade was first used on 36 volts, then recently you went to 48 volts?

Did you have any problems before going to 48 volts? Did it ever run OK on 48 volts, or is that when the problems began? Did you make any other changes besides the 48 volt change?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
gwgator
Not Yet Wild

Correct, the controller upgrade was used on 36v. I think it may have been acting up before the 48v upgrade but it wasn't as noticeable because there wasn't as much power.

A couple months ago, the main power switch had corroded and needed to be replaced so I was attributing the inconsistent power to that. I didn't use it much between the time I replaced that switch and made the 48v upgrade.

Once the 48v upgrade was made, it was very noticeable. It has not run correctly since the 48v upgrade was made but I am pretty sure the problem was preexisting and just made more noticeable with the additional power.

Occasionally, you will press the pedal and nothing at all will happen. I was also attributing this to the corroded switch but have not used the cart enough since it was replaced to have it happen again.

I'm thinking the problem lies somewhere within the gas pedal?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

gator.....lets ask a question, and not assume anything here, JUST IN CASE.....when you upgraded to 48v. did you change ANYTHING other that put in the new batteries? what controller do you have? we know its a 500a, but which model, if its programmable, did you change any of the settings after you upgraded to 48v?....did change the resistor on top of the Solenoid after you when to 48v?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
gwgator
Not Yet Wild

I have the Alltrax 500amp DCX500PDS. When I bought the upgraded controller from ScottyB, he supplied a 48v resistor to change when I decided to upgrade. That was all that I changed other than the batteries.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Obvious question: Is the solenoid clicking when it fails to go? This wouldn't cause the "go, but slower" part, though.....
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO