lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Datel 'nanoMeter' DC Voltmeter Install

I posted this in Yamaha but since that section doesn't get much traffic and the informations is universal, I'll post it here as well.

After a lot of reading on the subject of battery state of charge and battery life cycle, I figured it was probably important that I monitor the battery charge and keep my batteries in good health. I've seen quite a few of the rectangular Datel meter installs that ultimately lead me to the Datel site. What I found was the Datel DMR20-10-DCM round digital voltmeter. I particularly like the round gauge, autoranging feature, and the +/-.01 V resolution. I purchased the gauge through Mouser for $45 plus shipping.

Maybe someone can help me with this problem. The Yamaha Drive has a wire harness tucked under the dash for the OE state of charge meter. It is a 3-wire 4-pin connector. Using my DMM I read ~50v consistently across pins 1 and 4. I had originally planned to use this connector to power the meter as it was very convenient. However, with the Datel meter hooked up to these two pins it would only read ~5.00 v. I went through the wiring several times and could not get it to read correctly. I finally gave up and wired straight to the battery. I'm still puzzled by this.

Also something to note. The autoranging feature places the meter in the +/-.01 resolution mode with the voltage drops below 51 V (perfect for our application). The meter is shipped with the autoranging feature off. To turn the autoranging feature on, you need to jumper two pins with a hard drive type jumper. I don't know if one is included or if I lost in the furor of the meter showing up and me seeing an interesting caterpillar on the ground.

On to the install:

Sevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Datel 'nanoMeter' DC Voltmeter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevin View Post
Maybe someone can help me with this problem. The Yamaha Drive has a wire harness tucked under the dash for the OE state of charge meter. It is a 3-wire 4-pin connector. Using my DMM I read ~50v consistently across pins 1 and 4. I had originally planned to use this connector to power the meter as it was very convenient. However, with the Datel meter hooked up to these two pins it would only read ~5.00 v. I went through the wiring several times and could not get it to read correctly. I finally gave up and wired straight to the battery. I'm still puzzled by this.
I don't have a Yamaha schematic, so I don't know where pins 1 & 4 originate, but it sounds like a classical case of the test equipment loading the circuit.

Your DMM has an input impedance of 1-megohm (or more), so it puts a 50 microamp load on the circuit when it is reading 50V.

The Datel meter probably has a high input impedance, but it is also powered by the circuit under test and the label on the back says it draws up to 7 milliamps.

That is 0.000050A vs 0.007000A, so the readings will be different if there is any resistance in the wires connected to pins 1&4.

-------------
No matter what brand cart or type drive system, if you want to monitor battery pack voltage, connect the meter directly to the battery pack.
Anyplace else, you are monitoring something other than battery pack voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Datel 'nanoMeter' DC Voltmeter Install

Very nice looking gauge, I too like round verses any other shape. I may get one for my next cart....
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO