lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default My 36V TXT build.

I wont bore y'all with a long back story, so I'll give y'all the short. I have been wanting a golf cart for a while. I need/want one for around our property, we have 15 acres of woods we bought last year, and utv's are just a little to wide for most of the trails, I have a honda rancher, but I want something my girls can ride with me on and has more utility. I finally found a good price on a 2001 36V that runs, and came with a charger. I did a short test drive around the guys yard and it seemed decently peppy so I bought it. I didn't want to drop $8k on a new fancy one yet, because I have plans to buy a Roxor next year.

I was going to put a pic of the bare bones golf cart here, but I can't post pics for 7 days.

I got it home and I loaded up my 3 daughters and went to take it around the neighborhood and it barely made it around my block (maybe 1/4 mile trip). I was super disappointed. I inspected the batteries, they are 2014 and 4 of the cells were bone dry. Did some home work and put distilled water in them. This increased my range by double, I could do 2 trips around my neighborhood. I then talked to a good friend of mine that has a 4x4 club car hunting buggy, he said he does the battery medic on his batteries about once a year. I ordered it and put it in and trickle charged each battery individually and it now does about 2 miles . After about the first mile though it gets very sluggish. I am pretty certain that the batteries are in need of replacing. I know there is a little more doctoring I can do to the batteries, such as; clean the terminals, but being 2014 they are at the end of their life anyways.

Upon bringing the golf cart home I ordered a back seat. I did some home work and ordered one with aluminum diamond plate bottom and has the hoop support that holds the seat when laid down for extra strength. I will say this, installing the back seat is kind of a chore and requires patience for when not everything lines up perfectly.

Last Monday I decided to go ahead and order a lift kit and tires. I bounced around a bunch of lifts and decided to do the 6" drop arm. I ordered the freedom offroad 6" drop lift that comes with a new tie rod. It was the bang for the buck. I also ordered a set of 22"x11"x10" all terrains on black steel wheels. I woke up too late to go hunting Saturday and decided to go ahead and put the lift and tires on. I'll tell you what, that is an easy task. Took all of about 3 hours from start to finish. Hardest part was finding the safest spot for the jack stands on the back. The only technical part was drilling the passenger knuckle for the steering riser and even that was pretty easy. The cart took on a whole new look (reference my avatar since I can't post pics yet).

During the lift installation I did notice that my back shocks are toast mainly the driver side. There is very little dampening left in them. So a set of new shocks is coming in the near future. I also noticed that the bushings on the rear springs are virtually gone, so I will be ordering those soon as well.

So Saturday after I installed the lift I took my middle child with me to go check deer feeders out at my dad's place 200+ acres in the golf cart. It did really good getting around, first thing you do going to the back is drop in a muddy creek bed and it tanked right through it. However the batteries didn't last very long (maybe 45 min worth of driving at best). I have a really cut pic of my daughter standing on the back trying to feed cows I was going to post, but can't yet.

To conclude my first post on this build. I am so far happy with the golf cart. I need batteries and I am trying to do homework on that right now, but it's almost overwhelming the amount of info. I would like to be cost careful, but I don't want to buy junk.

Tonight I am going to do a little looking at the motor and controller, I am hoping it's a PDS so I can buy the freedom chip, but that is probably about it for now.

I am going to order some lights for it, Amazon has a really nice 22" green led spot light bar that I want to get for the front. I am going to get that and some 4" pods and mount them on it and then install a 12v battery and run all of that on a stand alone system so I don't have to buy a inverter.

My question to the forum is this; What is considered a good run time for a 36v golf cart? lifted or not, I have no idea. The company I work for has a 48v TXT that is brand new, it goes all day on a single charge (could probably go longer, but it gets charged every night), can I expect close to that?
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My 36V TXT build.

Which drive system do you have > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
biphase
Gone Wild

If it has a tow/run switch it is probably a PDS. In my opinion it is better to buy the 36v to 12v inverter than to run accessories on a separate 12v battery but others may feel differently. It would be interesting to hear other opinions on that subject.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should get way more than 45 minutes. Those batteries are done. At least three or four hours of on and off normal driving.

If it’s a PDS, your forward and reverse will be on the dash. Where is yours?

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
In my opinion it is better to buy the 36v to 12v inverter than to run accessories on a separate 12v battery but others may feel differently. It would be interesting to hear other opinions on that subject.

I agree.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
If it has a tow/run switch it is probably a PDS. In my opinion it is better to buy the 36v to 12v inverter than to run accessories on a separate 12v battery but others may feel differently. It would be interesting to hear other opinions on that subject.
There is no doubt that whether the pack is 36 or 48 volts consisting of 6/6v, 4/12v, or 6/8v, or 8/6v batteries....drawing accessory power from any where other than across the whole pack will shorten the useful life of the whole pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
biphase
Gone Wild

I think he was planning to add a separate 12v battery that would be devoted to the accessories. While that approach would not degrade the pack, it would require him to charge the 12v individually and the for the cost of the battery he could probably buy the inverter.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the link Scottyb. I definitely know what to look for tonight to see if which system I have.

I was planning to run a stand alone 12v battery. There is room inside the battery compartment for another battery and I figured I could stuff a 12v battery in there, then just mount a 12v fuse panel on the inside to run lights, radio or whatever else I want. I have trickle chargers out the wahzoo and figured I could put my marine trickle charger in there hard wired and then just plug in the 12v when needed. Thus way to not drain the drive power, and bypass needing an inverter. However, I am open to suggestion.... I like simplicity, and if the power inverter is better than a stand alone battery I will possibly go that way.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I see quite a few guys on here that run a separate battery, but the majority now seem to go with the reducer. I went the reducer route and wouldn’t do it any other way. It’s just one less thing to do, as far as not having to plug in a separate charger.

You may also consider needing that extra space. I have a strong feeling that you’re going to eventually take that cart to 42 or 48v. You can peruse the link Scotty gave you to learn all about your cart and upgrades too. When you do, you could use that space for a 7th 6v to get your 42v.

Just my .02 and welcome to the addiction.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks like my system is a series system. Using the pics from the link Scott provided it looked the same as what is in my cart.

Looks like the biggest upgrade I could do right now is controller. However, I need to invest in batteries before I do much else to it.

Hoping to order batteries this week, if I can find something that I feel good about buying.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO