lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo TXT solenoid wired wrong?

I was reading another thread and read that the TXT owners solenoid clicks each time when he presses the throttle. Is this correct?

My current wiring up has the solenoid click occurring when you turn the key from off to on, the cart runs normal

Another separate question: I loaded a field map I had back onto my XCT for more speed and I am not really seeing it after two 1/2 mile runs. Cart moves on flat garage with a gentle push so no brake drag. It was cold last night ~50*F not sure if that effects carts?

Setup 2007 Ezgo TXT PDS with EMP motor, XCT 500, new super duty 400a solenoid 2 gauge throughout, 18" inch tires, no lift, rear seat, extended roof, 42V with new US 2200 batteries
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo TXT solenoid wired wrong?

Low temperature really zaps the battery power. That would explain lower performance if the batteries are cold. THe PDS cart will click the solenoid when the key is turned on but, if you wait a few moments it will click back off... and then on each time you press the gas.
The solenoid is not to stay engaged as long as the key is on... if it does, something is not right.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
PDS cart will click the solenoid when the key is turned on but, if you wait a few moments it will click back off... and then on each time you press the gas.
The solenoid is not to stay engaged as long as the key is on... if it does, something is not right.
HMMM that is now making me think. Im at the office now and can not go check until hopefully late this evening. Is there a specific wiring charge for me to look at?

ScottyB I recently install that super duty 400a solenoid you send. I recall I had no issues with that. Where do you think I should start? The cart performs perfectly otherwise, fyi
Old 12-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If I understand you correctly. You observe the solenoid clicks once when the key is switched on and again when the key is switched off? If that is the case open the foot pedal box and check or replace the foot pedal micro switch.
These solenoids are not meant for continuous duty.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

US Battery rates their batteries at 80°F and at 50°F, they'd only have a bit over 80% of their rated capacity, the voltage will be a bit lower and the chemical reaction that produces the electricity will be slower. The net result is the pack voltage will decrease more per amp being drawn than it does at 80°F, so in addition to not having as much acceleration and pulling power, the top speed will be less.

Attached chart is from US Battery.

Back in Jun-2017, your solenoid wasn't closing until pedal switch closed like it is supposed to. Unless you've changed the wiring since then, it still ought to be. (The momentary solenoid closure when key is first turn on after resting for a while is typical, mine does it occasionally.)

Record a data log and post it, it'll show when the solenoid closes as well as the voltage between B- and B+ when at top speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capacity vs Temperature.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

According to JB's above chart, your batteries at 50-F would provide you with 85% of the full capacity when your batteries are at 80-F or higher.

I can personally attest to the fact that when I ran my 8 6V T105's hunting in 20-F weather or less, I would at best get 50% of the run distance that I got when it was 75-F or better.

I'm interested in seeing how the lithium pack performs when it's 20-F to 25-F.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will double check the solenoid and the temperature is about to go back to the high 70's/low 80's in the next few days so I will log some 80* runs. Thank you
Old 12-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
According to JB's above chart, your batteries at 50-F would provide you with 85% of the full capacity when your batteries are at 80-F or higher.

I can personally attest to the fact that when I ran my 8 6V T105's hunting in 20-F weather or less, I would at best get 50% of the run distance that I got when it was 75-F or better.

I'm interested in seeing how the lithium pack performs when it's 20-F to 25-F.

FWIW
While it is OK to use lithium batteries at those temperatures, do not try to charge the batteries if they are below 32F.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

On a Jun-2016 data log, it looks like the temperature was about 90°F and you got a bit over 6000RPM (26MPH on 18" tall tires) with 41.7V at the controller.

That was with the E57075-1 Map.

------------
You mentioned new US-2200 batteries, what charger are you using?

Here is a SoC chart for US Battery, not all chargers will fully charge them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Battery SoC vs OCV table from USB.jpg (145.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Oops! That is the chart I received from US Battery and it doesn't have 42V on it, here is one that does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USB SoC 36-42-48V.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO