lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
2overpar
Not Yet Wild

Default charger turning off and meter not reading correctly

Thanks for your suggestions

I have a 1998 TXT that I have upgraded the motor and controller - other than that it is stock. I have bypassed the reed switch.

For the past year, my charger is kicking off in less than a half hour. I can replug it in several times and get to a full charge, but it's a pain, especially if playing on consecutive days. I also have meter issues - sometimes it will read full after I know the batteries are charged based on watching the needle on the charger, sometimes the meter "sticks" wherever it was before I plugged it in. If I disconnect the wire and reconnect - meter will show full. I have replaced the meter and the new one is doing the same thing as the old.
I also have just replaced all of the batteries with new Trojan - same results on both issues.

Any thoughts?
2overpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: charger turning off and meter not reading correctly

Replace the meter with a digital voltmeter type. The bar graph meters are junk. They often reset when they see the charger not when the pack is fully charged.
Real time voltage readings is the best insurance you can buy for the new pack... plus you will be able to see what the old charge is or is not doing
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

LED bar meters are nice toys. that's all they are. I've seen them read full when cart is empty of any usable charge, stay flashing 'dead' after a full charge, and the cart is often well below acceptable SoC after the meter reads half (if it does). I've seen them short, melt the dash, and drain batteries if hooked up wrong (where it stays on full-time)

Even the stock needle gauges on RXVs are not trustworthy.

We don't install the real-time volts ones because the morons around here don't know what any of it means, especially when it drops quite far when they take off up a large hill and panic seeing it dip to 42V or even 39V for a bit. Most people here see idle non-load volts and assume it's good to go, not knowing the SoC is already well below 20%
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The last time I shot 2 over par was the first hole on a par 3.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
2overpar
Not Yet Wild

any theory on the charger kicking iff after 15-30 minutes?

what SoC meter would you recommend that might fit in that same spot?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 AM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If it's a 1998 it should have a PowerWise 2 charger, one of the good ones. Kicking off after a short time when it should run longer is indicative of a failing relay on the timer board. The charger should initially jump to 20 amps and slowly drop to around 4-5 before it normally shuts down, or shuts down if charge time exceeds 16 hours. Opening up the charger and looking at the relay board should likely show some melting at one of the relay connectors or a burnt wire, often a cause for short run time or a charger that kicks on/off every few minutes. Is the grounding pin on the AC cord still intact or has it been cut off to use in an old non-grounded outlet? if it's removed or plugged in upside down this makes the charger run hot and causes damage resulting in this issue.

There's discussion of an SoC meter but is the 'meter' you're referring to in your original post regarding the ammeter on the charger itself or the crappy little bar meter installed on the car?
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
2overpar
Not Yet Wild

Plug has not been altered - but it sounds like you may have the answer with the board in the charger.

The SOC meter is a replacement similar to the original with the led "bars" - the replacement is doing the same thing as the original.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

I"m sure you've been told and many will continue to tell you those meters are not accurate. I got my meter from Scotty at Cartsunlimited and it is spot on.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO