lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Block Party - Safe to use cart electrical accessories while charging?

After doing a little searching, couldn’t find an answer to this newbie question. I can’t imagine it’s an issue, but is there any problem with using “on cart” electrical accessories while the cart is charging?

A “for instance” - say you’re at a neighborhood block party, and there’s a power outlet available. In this scenario, I’d like to have my radio running, my light bars on, and a number of other electrical accessories running, but I have no intention of driving anywhere. Should I take advantage of the electrical outlet? Or should you just use the cart as designed, and charge later?

At the rate my cart has charged in the past, I’d have to think it charges faster than any draw I would have with accessories, so it would be nice to have the cart remain fully charged. I just don’t know how the batteries handle current going both in and out of them simultaneously.

Thx all!
MadAktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Block Party - Safe to use cart electrical accessories while charging?

The batteries will only get the net current so that is not a problem.

The main issue is how the charger handles the additional current draw, it may generate an error if it has a hard time keeping the "absorption" voltage on the batteries.

If You have an ERIC charger, even if it fails, all you need to do is disconnect and plug it again to charge.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Block Party - Safe to use cart electrical accessories while charging?

Interesting. I’m glad I asked. Things seem to never go the way I hypothesize, but it all works out in the end I suppose. Thx!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I “assume” that your 2016 Club Car has a voltage reducer on it that can handle the ~65 volt finish charge that your batteries receive.

When you are on a high voltage (~65v) finish charge, check to see what the voltage output is from your voltage reducer.

Most LED’s can have a fairly high voltage range.

You might want to check your stereo rating to ensure it operates within the range of your reducer output with a 65 volt input. Would your controller also be seeing this 65 volts ... not sure what yours is rated for? It might depend on what key position you are in.

I might be being over cautious, but it would be a fairly simple check to ensure you don’t have a problem doing what you suggest.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

A reducer should have a steady output within its entire designed input voltage range, that is supposed to be its only function, but nothing wrong with over cautious with all the crappy Chinese stuff on the market
Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

I have a 30amp voltage reducer (not much more in terms of detailed specs)

https://www.amazon.com/10L0L-Voltage...+12v+golf+cart

I will check the output from the voltage reducer on my fuse block while cart is plugged in to double check. I’d be terrified if it showed anything other than 12V! Yikes!

Reducer only works when key is in the ON position.

I’ll post results from the test soon. Thx!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

Details on the reducer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F0F5CF07-EB62-448B-85FA-B37194BBA453.jpg (214.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is a very very common reducer being used today....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
MadAktion
Getting Wild

Club Car

I’m surprised this topic has never come up on the forum... people must be doing it all the time, and never thought to talk about it.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That 55v maximum input voltage on the label sure begs the question if the Converter shuts the output or goes off output regulation when the input voltage exceeds that value
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car