lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger not clciking on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Yes. Nothing. Instead of relying on an external connection, you merely eliminate the wire and connector by connecting the small wire to the charger output internally, if that makes sense. Electrically they are "almost" the same anyway.

Some argue that there may have been a potential future use for that connector, but my charger doesn't even have that at all.
Good to know, thanks. I would eventually like to upgrade to a Lester Summit II, or even better, go lithium. However, I am currently enjoying the new FLAs and the Powerwise... for now.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Nice photo. I never thought to snap a pic of that, with both covers removed. Got rid of my Powerwise.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Please verify you have a Powerwise 28115 charger, pictured below.

Also attached is a picture of the charger's plug plugged into the cart's charge receptacle with top covers removed, showing the Auxiliary contact touching the outside of the negative radsok inside the red ellipse.
Thanks for the photo, seeing the guts in action gives a good perspective.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
Are you referring to the little flat contactor on the charger connection? ..................... What does eliminating it entirely do?
Kelvin test leads (aka 4-wire or 4T) effectively eliminated the resistance of the test lead wires when measuring low ohms, such as the resistance of PCB runs or short lengths of wire.

Since the amps flowing though the relatively small wires in the charger's output cable will drop some voltage, EZGO decided to use the Kelvin concept and move battery voltage sensing closer to the battery pack. The idea must have been originated by a newly hired junior engineer trying to be noticed and approved up by lawyers and bean counters on the committee because only one leg of the two legs of the charging circuit was remotely sensed and by the time the sensed voltage had increased to the level selected to shut off the charger, the amps had decreased to the point the voltage drop across the wires in the output cable was insignificant.

In other words, it was a solution to a problem that barely existed, if at all, and a new source of failures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kelvin test leads.jpg (310.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

But isn't it a fact that it is NOT used? The charger only cares about resting voltage being high enough to turn on the charger. At that point there is no current flow. And for turning off the charger, current is already pretty low. How accurate does it have to be, given that EVERY electrical component in the "voltage measuring" circuit is "low bid" and has a tolerance range.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #16
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Please verify you have a Powerwise 28115 charger, pictured below.

Also attached is a picture of the charger's plug plugged into the cart's charge receptacle with top covers removed, showing the Auxiliary contact touching the outside of the negative radsok inside the red ellipse.
If this question is for the OP (me)...then yes that is the exact plug and charger...except my charger says 28115 G01 ...

This afternoon I plugged it in and it clicked on like it is supposed to...
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Yes, that's the charger. As to the photo, it should help you know what and where to clean, if it becomes a problem.

Just make sure everyone who uses the cart hooks up the charger then confirms it's running.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO