lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Golf cart charger again

If You have a Powerdrive model 17930 with the round glass fuse on the front make sure both sides of the fuse are OK otherwise it will behave the same as a blown diode (heatsink).

Edit:
Double Check the obvious as well, make sure the 12ga red wire from the charger receptacle is connected to pack posititive battery post.

When you plug the charger and the current is at maximum, do all batteries go up in voltage?

Are you using an extension cord?

If the charger is directly plugged at the wall outlet, measure the voltage on the other plug on the outlet while the charger is running to make sure the AC voltage is not dropping.

Last edited by Sergio; 10-21-2019 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: More Questions
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have used a kit like this one from Traktronix: https://www.amazon.com/PowerDrive-Ba...75ZV1TW43N22TB.
I know that's Amazon and all, but that's just where I found it first. In my experience that suppressor cable (which is not included in many kits) can make all the difference.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That suppressor cable is just a $0.02 diode, it could cause the OBC sense circuit to eventually fail is it is open or prevent the OBC from engaging if is shorted, but it would not have any impact on the AC breaker.

You can easily do a diode test on that wire to make sure the diode is good.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
evad714
Not Yet Wild

Fixed and up and running again!

Wiring checked out ok. rechecked voltage and each battery was a little low.

Purchased a 8v little battery charger from amazon. Put it on 3 of 6 batteries for 12-16 hours, and it never fully charged a single one of them. But it did bring up the voltage on those 3 batteries.

Then I came across a charger from Golf Cart King website, Modz Max. It was only $200 and much lighter and smaller than the Power Drive one I have now.

Ordered it. Plugged it in . and it charged it up right away no problems.

After it was charged, I plugged back in the Power Drive charger and it only went up to about 11 amps on the front meter and slowly decreased. But most importantly never tripped the breaker again.

I dont need 3 chargers. The cheap amazon one seems useless and can go back.

So that means I need to choose between the Modz Max or the Power Drive...

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this Modz Max charger?
evad714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
evad714
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If You have a Powerdrive model 17930 with the round glass fuse on the front make sure both sides of the fuse are OK otherwise it will behave the same as a blown diode (heatsink).

Edit:
Double Check the obvious as well, make sure the 12ga red wire from the charger receptacle is connected to pack posititive battery post.

When you plug the charger and the current is at maximum, do all batteries go up in voltage?

Are you using an extension cord?

If the charger is directly plugged at the wall outlet, measure the voltage on the other plug on the outlet while the charger is running to make sure the AC voltage is not dropping.

I was using an extension cord but then plugged it directly into the wall as well. Same results. Voltage was fine on the other plug.

current would go to max but the breaker would kick in too soon for the charger to really have any impact on the batteries.

I will have to check the glass fuse on the front. I didnt think to take a look at that part of it.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #16
evad714
Not Yet Wild

forgot the link to the Modz Max...

https://www.golfcartking.com/modz-ma...oaAoReEALw_wcB
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car