lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
TheNamesWes
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Unknown part on club car ds

I bought this cart for 150 bucks and had some decent 6 volts laying around. Since it's a 48 volt cart I didnt want to buy all 6 new 8 volt batteries for a cart I dont care much about, so it has 4 6 volt batteries and 2 new 12 volt deep cycle batteries. I'll be pulling off the drive side 6 volt batteries to get my 12 volts.
TheNamesWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNamesWes View Post
I bought this cart for 150 bucks and had some decent 6 volts laying around. Since it's a 48 volt cart I didnt want to buy all 6 new 8 volt batteries for a cart I dont care much about, so it has 4 6 volt batteries and 2 new 12 volt deep cycle batteries. I'll be pulling off the drive side 6 volt batteries to get my 12 volts.
Regardless of what you paid for it, and how much you care about it, there is a multitude of reasons you should not do this.

This topic comes up all the time. Do some research in here and you will find a plethora of threads/comments about this subject.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
TheNamesWes
Not Yet Wild

You are able to mix voltages when connected in series, they are all deep cycle. I dont see the issue??
Old 11-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #14
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

gonna be a pain to charge it …..
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
TheNamesWes
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
gonna be a pain to charge it …..
??? How would it be a pain? It's still 48 volts I just have a universal 48volt 6amp charger that charges it overnight.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:40 PM   #16
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm no battery guru but those 12v batteries have nowhere near the amp reserves as the 6v golf car batteries. That means they will be the first ones to run out of power and then will get severley overcharged when recharging (the 6v batteries will have lots of reserve left and will resist recharge past a certain point, leaving the 12v batteries to suck up the recharge by themselves). I figure they'll last about a year being roasted and toasted like that until they simply fail.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:52 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

...and the 6 amp charger is about 1/3 of the amps needed to charge a golf cart battery.....

......and....
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:13 AM   #18
TheNamesWes
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
...and the 6 amp charger is about 1/3 of the amps needed to charge a golf cart battery.....

......and....

And its 1/3 the price and it's small enough to have onboard.

The 6 amp charger does just fine overnight, the 12v batteries have a 1 year warranty, if it lasts two years, I will be extremely happy. You guys dont understand, I now have a 48volt cart with brand new tires, 2 new batteries, an onboard charger, rear seat, etc for only 350 bucks all together. If I need to replace the batteries in two years I dont care. Theres nothing dangerous about what I did because the 12 volt batteries are the same size and have the same volts per cell as the 6 volts. The charge has been lasting me all day and I've been driving it full throttle all the time.

Tags
48v, club car, electric, lights
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car