lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
turkish_ff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Solenoid clicks, cart no go (another one)

Howdy all,

Just like the title says, solenoid clicks, cart won’t go. It “worked” somewhat yesterday. Pushed the pedal down and after approx 60 secs it slowly started rolling and gaining speed. After parking, no go. Today it jerked/budged for a little bit now it won’t do anything, solenoid clicks immediately after pressing pedal down and there is maybe a 2 sec delay before it clicks again after I let off the throttle.

I did the following test from Scotty’s troubleshooting page:

Solenoid not working

How to verify the solenoid is actually working?

Remove the pre-charge resistor from the big terminals.

Put the voltmeter black (common) on battery main (-) and the red lead on the solenoid big terminal with the battery Main (+) cable on it

The voltmeter should read the same as the battery pack here.

Now press the pedal so the solenoid clicks and move the red lead to the other big solenoid post = this should also now read the same as the battery pack.

Now release the pedal and the power should disappear from the second big post.

Repeat the test several times to see that the solenoid is consistently closing (power at both big terminals) when it clicks and opening (power at one big terminal) when the pedal is lifted.

Batt pack: 51.1
Batt main neg and solenoid main pos= 51.1
Batt main neg and “other” solenoid post after click of pedal=51.1
Same as above with pedal off and click 50.6 (is that supposed to be 0?)

Where should I go from here?
turkish_ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid clicks, cart no go (another one)

Sounds like you have a 2008 TXT PDS with an Alltrax XCT controller and 48V battery ack feeding an Admiral MOT-B4.

Not sure if the troubleshooting guide you are using is for a PDS, but it for sure isn't for a XCT since the XCT doesn't have a precharge resistor. Instead, it has a regen diode. (Item-5 on attached schematic)

The LED ought to be blinking an error code when the pedal is pushed and the cart not moving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT-PDS with regen diode.jpg (213.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg XCT Error Codes.jpg (263.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg XCT Error Codes Definitions.jpg (214.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
turkish_ff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Sounds like you have a 2008 TXT PDS with an Alltrax XCT controller and 48V battery ack feeding an Admiral MOT-B4.

Not sure if the troubleshooting guide you are using is for a PDS, but it for sure isn't for a XCT since the XCT doesn't have a precharge resistor. Instead, it has a regen diode. (Item-5 on attached schematic)

The LED ought to be blinking an error code when the pedal is pushed and the cart not moving.
I got 4 green flashes on power up which according to the chart you posted tells me EZGO ITS throttle. Using my superior intelligence I’m assuming that tells me the ITS is bad and I need a new one?
Old 06-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The green flashes that immediately occur upon power up indicate which throttle the XCT is set to. The error codes occur after the throttle type is flashed and consists of a number of green flashes followed by a number of red flashes, a pause, the green/red code repeats.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
turkish_ff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The green flashes that immediately occur upon power up indicate which throttle the XCT is set to. The error codes occur after the throttle type is flashed and consists of a number of green flashes followed by a number of red flashes, a pause, the green/red code repeats.
Ok. Well steady green then after the initial 4 flashes. Still no dice on movement.

If I hold the pedal down to the floor...the cart ever so slowly picks up speed from a snails pace to decent moving speed. But as soon as I sto-, it starts all over again.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

With the cart on stands press the pedal to the floor and the light should turn amber showing 100% throttle. Or hook up a computer to see what it is doing
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
turkish_ff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
With the cart on stands press the pedal to the floor and the light should turn amber showing 100% throttle. Or hook up a computer to see what it is doing
Pedal to floor: steady green indicator light

Here is what I did today:

Went out to a fully charged cart, turned everything on. Took a screen shot of the alltrax app (see “NO THROTTLE” PICS)

Next step: fwd switch, pedal to floor, no movement, steady green. I took a screenshot of the alltrax app (see “FULL THROTTLE PICS”)

The problem/issue I’ve noticed is that after about 5-10mins, with nothing changed as far as switches, power, etc...pedal to floor and wheels start turning (see FULL THROTTLE PICS V2)

If I turn everything off and step away, the process repeats itself, no movement initially, after 5-10 of everything being on, wheels start turning again....almost as if something needs to “warmup”

If I leave everything on and step away, there is no change (it still works)

A few other observations, throttle indicated on alltrax app never gets to 100%
If I turn key off but leave controller on, it works fine.
Light on controller doesn’t turn to amber when pedal is to the floor

So with all that being said, anybody have any thoughts? Do I leave the controller in “run” a majority of the time?
Old 06-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
turkish_ff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish_ff View Post
Pedal to floor: steady green indicator light

Here is what I did today:

Went out to a fully charged cart, turned everything on. Took a screen shot of the alltrax app (see “NO THROTTLE” PICS)

Next step: fwd switch, pedal to floor, no movement, steady green. I took a screenshot of the alltrax app (see “FULL THROTTLE PICS”)

The problem/issue I’ve noticed is that after about 5-10mins, with nothing changed as far as switches, power, etc...pedal to floor and wheels start turning (see FULL THROTTLE PICS V2)

If I turn everything off and step away, the process repeats itself, no movement initially, after 5-10 of everything being on, wheels start turning again....almost as if something needs to “warmup”

If I leave everything on and step away, there is no change (it still works)

A few other observations, throttle indicated on alltrax app never gets to 100%
If I turn key off but leave controller on, it works fine.

So with all that being said, anybody have any thoughts? Do I leave the controller in “run” a majority of the time?
Here’s the FULL THROTTLE V2 VIEW 2 image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E4D6E795-0A9F-443C-873C-AE67078A3875.jpg (68.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The Run/Tow switch should be left in the Run position most of the time.

In the Run position, the XCT controller is either in standby or fully powered up depending on the keyswitch being off or on. If the cart is moved (Push or pull or gravity), the controller turns on the regen braking and tries try to keep the cart from moving faster than 2MPH (on stock height tires). If you tow the cart home while in Run, the motor or controller or both will be destroyed.

In the Tow position, it is safe to tow the cart.

The full name of the Tow position is Tow/Maintenance and whenever you do maintenance on cart, especially anything electrical, put in the Tow position.

The controller draws a few milliamps when sitting idle in Run, so some people put it in Tow for long term storage.

---------------
That said, there is something amiss with your cart. The XCT ought to be fully operational withing a second or two at the most after being placed in Run.

Looks like a throttle issue(s). Measure the voltage between the black and white wires from the pedal box while they are connected to the XCT. Should be 10V with the pedal up and 6V with pedal down. Voltage ought to track pedal position in real time, or very near to it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO