lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Question on 48v upgrade

All,
I know the Alltrax can take 48vt I just wasn't sure where it was "looking" for over voltage. If it is looking on the low current side, it will be 36vt and happy. If it is looking on the high current side the 48vt may shutdown the controller from over voltage but I guess it won't cook it, just complain. 48vt here I come!! May be time for the seatbelts;)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #22
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Basicly the big power wires will be wired 48v and the small wires through the key and the microswitches to the solenoid trigger terminal will be tapped at the 36v location on the battery bank. Negative for both on the same terminal. Leave the charger wires where they are. Remove the power + wire from the 36v + terminal on battery #6 leaving the small wires and charge wire there and put the jumper to your #7 and #8 batteries there. Put the power wire you removed from 36+ on to the + on battery #8. You will now charge 36v with your original charger just like before and you charge #7 and #8 as a 12v battery with a separate charger. You do not have to disconnect anything to charge that way.

The Alltrax works on 24v to 48v with no modification.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #23
daveM
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Jim, This placement of wires you are talking about is only if you are using a 36volt solenoid? Just to be clear. If you use a 48 volt solenoid with the Alltrax there is no need to change the placement of the wires.
daveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #24
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Jim, I understand your logic and also get that the small wires need to end up "seeing" 36vt while the heavy have 48vt. Which batts you connect them to depend on where you put the extra 2 correct ? Should I be concerned about the resistor ? and thanks for the tech info.. Glad you folks are here
Old 12-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #25
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

kgsc,

To keep things fairly simple consider the NEG connection the charger is connected to be the NEG connection of battery #1. Thus batteries #1 through #6 are your original batteries. The + of #6 is where the + connection for the charger is connected. #7 and #8 are the batteries you are adding. Move the power wire from +#6 to +#8 will get you 48v.

I cannot answer your question about the resistor.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #26
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Got it. I just ask about the resistor because I see in the Alltrax diagram to use 250ohm for 24-36vt and 470ohm for 48vt. I don't want to cook anything. Anybody??
Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #27
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Got it. I just ask about the resistor because I see in the Alltrax diagram to use 250ohm for 24-36vt and 470ohm for 48vt. I don't want to cook anything. Anybody??
If you are doing a complete 48v conversion, change the resistor and diode to the correct values. If you are keeping the control cicuits on 36v (like I did originally on my cart using the 2 charger scenario) leave the original resistor and diode in place.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #28
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Gornman, I will go to 48 totally eventually but I wanted to try it first. If I do the 36/48 combo, the activation circuit will be 36 so the diode should be ok but the load will be 48 so I guess I really should change the resistor to a 470 or maybe put two 250s that I have in series. Oh well, I guess when the circuit is engaged, the resistor really doesn't matter so caution to the wind, I'll add 12vt to the load circuit, move the charger wire to the 36vt, jump in, pop a cold one and floor that sucker!! No guts no glory and thats what fuses are for right!! Thanks folks, I post an update once I've tried it.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #29
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

That's the spirit! Let 'er rip!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #30
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

On the Alltrax controller look at your numbers on the label.... if it's got 48 in the model number it will go to 48v; and you need to reprogram the controller, you can get the wire at Radioshack and do it with a laptop. The program for the laptop is free from an Alltrax-related site online.

I went with the really heavy duty 48v soleniod, and have used the smaller diode and resister until my new ones come in. I just don't gun it too much but I hear the hd soleniod will take a lot of abuse.
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO