lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
DonEzgo1979
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Replace starter on 79 EZGO

I just fixed up a 1979 EZGO 2-cycle gas cart, now I think the starter is going out. After the motor runs for awhile then I stop it turns over real slow. Sometimes I have to turn the crankshaft some then it will slowly turn then start. I was told by my local EZGO dealer it isn't worth fixing. If I did want to fix it they would install a new starter generator for around $400.
My question is, where is the starter/generator? Are these hard to replace? Any guides out there to help me with this? Thanks.
DonEzgo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
DonEzgo1979
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replace starter on 79 EZGO

Well, I was hoping for someone to give me some direction on this. Maybe it's time to throw the towel in a buy new.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

It might very well be time to throw in the towel. Considering the age of the cart I know why they are tellin you it aint worth it. The main reason is the starter is going to exceed what the cart is actually worth monetarilly and second who knows what else is next to repair and parts are HARD to find for a cart this age. I bet shes a beaut but it maybe time to hand it down. As far as the starter, look for a large electric motor with battery size cables going to it. It should be in the belt drive and is about the size of an 80's model Chevy starter. I'm not real smooth on these old two strokers but I hope this helps.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do any of you guys know if this cart has a internal starter generator?
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I didnt know for sure chadonite but i have seen some really older ones like this that had an external one and I thought this might help him. He wasnt havin much luck...
Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
DonEzgo1979
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Guys. Yea it's internal alright. I just don't know how hard it is to fix labor wise. The part is only about $40 or so. Anyways, I had them come and pick it up. They will call sometime next week with what is really wrong. Just stinks though, I just put alot of time in painting it and such to where it looked ok in my neighborhood.
So, since I'm still new to carts...what is better? Electric or gas? Is 48 volt the way to go? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I think everyone in this section will lean toward gas.... I wouldn't have it any other way!!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
DonEzgo1979
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, I will definitely get a 4-cycle this time. I couldn't stand the fumes of the 2-cycle. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I don't see how you can go wrong. A current cart is reliable. Parts and upgrades are also readily available. TWO WORDS " EZ GO." BGW ROCKS
Old 05-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
DonEzgo1979
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I just couldn't part with the cart after the work I got in it so I had them fix the internal brushes on the starter for $250. Even though the brushes are only $20 for all 4 they had to pull the engine and tear into of 3 1/2 hrs of labor. I guess there is no turning back now that I have about $900 or so in this baby. Just can't afford a newer cart right now and since my boys drive this that all they need.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO