lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
EZ RIDER
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: wont start

I checked compression after putting the carb back on and it was the same as with it off. Can a back fire destroy reed valves and how would that effect cylinder compression. I am not to bright when it comes to 2 strokes, so its time to learn. What I dont understand is that it still ran when I drove it back to the barn with less than 30 lbs of compression.
EZ RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
divot61
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

its been quite a while since i worked on 2-strokes, everything i have is OHC 4stroke, its possible that a large backfire may have damaged the reed valves, have you taken out the reed valve insert? like i said its been years since i worked on them, is the reeds molded into the housing? if there screwed in you can remove them and turn them around and should be a little better on compression, dont really think that there very expensive. did some research and it seems you cannot find reed valve inserts anymore, ill keep looking, good luck
divot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I wish I knew the answers for ya EZ. I rebuilt the top end of one of these carts a year ago but all I did was order all fresh parts and re-assemble it.
I do know that a back fire on any motor is not good, I'm thinking on 2 smokers it's really not good.

Some of the guys with more expirience will be along shortly.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

i believe that even with bad seals and bad (not positive) reeds, you can still have good compression. you have a blown head gasket or some other internal prob. tear it down. not hard. jim
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
EZ RIDER
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Pulled the engine today and this is what I have found so far. The cylinder base gasket is leaking, it has fresh oil around it and the crank seal on the clutch side is bad. One of the flaps on the reed valve isnt closing all the way, I can barely see light coming through. Thats all I had time for today. As soon as I get time I will pull the head and cylinder off and see if they are ok.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
divot61
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds like you found most of your problems, may get a little salty in price "but your cart will be up and running" let me know if you find a distributer for old reeds, have a bunch of 2-smokers in town now that they have passed the law for golf cart on the road
divot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
EZ RIDER
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I pulled the head off today and the head gasket is ok, the cylinder is smooth, but you can move the piston about 1/32 inch across the cylinder. That seems excessive to me, so I think maybe a new top end would be the way to go. Havent found a reed valve yet so I might have to make the old one work. Once I get the cylinder off I will check the rod and crank.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

I have an old block that still has the reeds in it, I will check them out and let you know. I just got my top end kit so I will be in your shoes here shortly! Yee haw, gotta love these old smokers
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #19
EZ RIDER
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I pulled the flywheel and cylinder today and found that the top piston ring was gone. The piston and cylinder both have a groove in them. I am also pulling pieces of what looks like the piston ring out of the crankshaft bearing on the flywheel side. I am going to replace both bearings, so I will have to split the crankcase. Is there a gasket between the two halves and if so where can I get one?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
EZ RIDER
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I split the crankcase today and found no gasket, just a thin layer of gasket sealer. I assume thats all I need to seal it. Also the outside crank bearing was wasted, what I thought was pieces of the piston ring was just pieces of the bearing. Dont know where that piston ring ended up, I am guessing its in the muffler.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO