lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Payday
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 resistor cart electronic upgrade

I currently have an '87 EzGo, reisistor cart, that I'm looking at upgrading from the resistor set up to something that will get me in at least into the early to mid 2000's.

What parts am I going to need to pick up? or better yet, is there an 'upgrade kit' available somewhere?

The local shop phone quoted me at over 1500.
Payday is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 resistor cart electronic upgrade

Your local shop is not too far off. It would actually hard for a shop to this right for that $.... You can do it yourself for less if you are electronically and mechanically inclined. Start searching your local Craigslist for a 48v Lester battery charger.... NOT a Club Car charger, but Yamaha or Lester is okay.... You can save hundreds buying it used.
List of stuff you will need to covert:

48v worth of batteries (six 8v is easiest, eight 6v works and has longer run time but, you have to mount 2 in the bagwell on your cart)
48v charger
Curtis Potentiometer (PB-6)
300-480 amp speed controller
Heavy Duty Solenoid (w/ accessories)
4 Gauge cables for batteries F&R switch and motor
Beefed up F&R switch or Switch cam

That will do it, you will be going close to 20mph depending upon the wheel size ... You could go with a bigger/faster motor too

It just ain't cheap
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW !!

Controller and pot box, most likely a new solenoid and updated cables. This is assuming you can mount the pot box in a way that allows you to use the existing gas pedal rods, otherwise you need a linkage setup also. Labor will be your biggest expense unless you do it your self. I will tell you now, that if you use a stock controller, 275 amps, the updated cart will be slower than what you have now My 88 resister is faster than my stock controller cart. Both are series motors of similar size. You will get better power management with the controller. It can be done, but you may want to consider selling it and buying a used controller cart that you want. or be happy with what ya got

aloha
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
huntinghawk
Gone Wild

You need the 48v matching plug for the cart. Plug on 36 & 48v chargers are different.
Ross
huntinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Payday
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I'll spend the couple hundred on new wires, dip switches, selonoid and misc 'others'. To get it back to running as it's designed.
Payday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payday View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I think I'll spend the couple hundred on new wires, dip switches, selonoid and misc 'others'. To get it back to running as it's designed.

I think you will be happy. I run mine with a 5 inch lift and 22inch tires with no problems, just go big on the wires.
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

And stay out of streams and creeks. A cold splash of water on hot resistors will break them instantly.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO