lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
lizardman
Not Yet Wild

Default Confused about what to look for in new cart

First post. Woo hoo! And here I go asking "the" noob stupid question!

I have been around GCs for years, but have not had one until just recently. I had a 93 EZ Marathon given to me by the in-laws. I will tinker with this a bit to get it in better condition, but I hope to sell or trade it in on a newer model in about a year. This is where I dont really know what I want.

Basically, I know I want electric since I already have a Kawasaki Mule. I would like something 2006+/- and newer. I really dont know whether I want EZ-Go or Club Car(although I do seem to like the EZs better aesthetically). I would like a lifted cart with a heavy duty controller to handle the hills and trails I have on my property. The cart will be just used for cruising the neighborhood and the trails with moderate hills. I want to have a back seat but not for hauling anything other than people. A little speed would be nice, but a good mix of speed/torque would be best.

Now, the real question(s):
-Any real reason to choose EZ over CC(or the other way around)?
-Do I want 36v or 48v?
-Model - TXT, Precedent, or other?
-What model drive sytem? PDS, Sepex, or other type?
-Anything to look out for when buying to make sure I am getting what I am expecting?

-Should I expect to get anything in trade for the Marathon or should I just keep it as a beater for the kids?

-I am tired after a surgery(on me, I am not a doc) so I am sure there are other questions I havent even yet considered. Please help me any way you can.

Most carts I see appear to be priced similarly at between $3-4k dependent on features such as lights, radios, etc. I guess thats about typical.

Thanks,
Rod
lizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: Confused about what to look for in new cart

I would go for the txt fleet system. They are cheap to upgrade and lots of accessories for them. 2010 was the first year of the 48V txt, but you can upgrade a 36V to 48V for around 1200+. this includes batteries, controller, solenoid, charger, wiring.

I cannot comment on the CC since i dont sell or work on them. I do like the EZGO better in looks.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

Looks like you wanna do exactly what I did

Started with this beat up marathon -
[IMG][/IMG]

Made it to this-
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Sold it bought this cheap-
[IMG][/IMG]

Fixed it up a bit-
[IMG][/IMG]

Traded for this -
[IMG][/IMG]
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
pocket aces
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hey ChevyRacing75 I see that you have your woman trained well! She is a good cart washer. What were doing? Supervising with a cold Bud light.
pocket aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket aces View Post
Hey ChevyRacing75 I see that you have your woman trained well! She is a good cart washer. What were doing? Supervising with a cold Bud light.
She loves to help. What else is there to do Someones gotta drink the beer and take pics
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
lizardman
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate all replies. I just want to be educated prior to my shopping experience so that I will know what to look for AND make sure I am getting what I pay for. I dont need a GC salesman to get googly-eyed over my ignorance!! LOL

ChevyRacer, you did good with your trades. While I do want to get the Marathon running good again, I dont think I will be "blingin" it out to turn a sale even though I will likely try to sell it privately first. I just need to get it going until year end or next years tax return(maybe sooner given the right deal). Then, I hope to go straight for the upgrade. BTW, your current ride is nice, although way nicer than what I want.

So, a late model TXT fleet would work fine. Do I want PDS? Would the cart most likely have an upgraded HD (400 amp??)controller if I buy a lifted model? Since I have read of the overheating/shut down problems on BGW, I am worried that it would it need the HD controller.

As far as 36v vs. 48v, I would rather not do an upgrade immediately. I may ask this same series of ?s in the CC section to get an opinion of what CC offers in 48v.

Thanks again for the info.
Rod
lizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

you ae right about the PDS controllers overheating and dying. If you are looking to upgrade motor and controllers Fleet is the way to go since they are cheaper than PDS stuff. I like the PDS since the f-n-r switch is dash mounted, but they do cost more to mod. If you go 400 amp alltrax on a PDS that eliminates mojority of the issues.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

IMO The least expensive way to have 48v is to start with a Club Car 48volt w/ series wound motor. Very similar to a Ezgo TXT but you will have 48 volt platform (including 48v charger to build on which will save several hundred $$. You can just as easily upgrade to Alltrax controller etc.
Again I am more biased to performance than brand.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
I like the PDS since the f-n-r switch is dash mounted.
I eliminate that by doing the solenoid conversion on a series cart... you get the convience of a dash mounted rocker, the stability of the series setup and the bonus of less loss of power!
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What is this solenoid conversion that you speak of rabbit?
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO