lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear Axle Bearing failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Fixed it for ya!
That's a dead giveaway, when they have the bearing race rings and that little smirk on their faces...... can we rent your golf cart?
Aaaaghh !!!!

Ezgo Axle & Hub
Attached Images
File Type: png Ezgo Axle & Hub.png (61.6 KB, 121 views)
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #22
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Excellent diagram, Scotty. It will help others as well.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
KMP259
Not Yet Wild

Gorno

I didn't see a Thrust washer in your diagrams......

I think the thrust washer failed and allow movement between the hub and the bearing and then destroyed the bearing.....

The splines do not stop the side to side movement.....

The nut clamps the hub, thrust washer to the inner race of the bearing which is up against the step cut into the axle.....

We have found in certain cases that we have had to make the thrust washers thicker inorder to get the clamping on the axle shaft proper.

And you can measure how much the thrust washer allows the hub to move on the splines.

KMP259
KMP259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #24
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
From they way I see it, the hub bottoms out on the axle splines way before it could put any lateral force on the bearing races.
Upon closer inspection, it would appear that the axle splines do in fact run under the inner race slightly, so my above statement is incorrect. Then again, I'm not convinced I have the correct bearing in my hand right now. When the correct parts get here from Carts Unlimited we shall see more clearly.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #25
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP259 View Post
The nut clamps the hub, thrust washer to the inner race of the bearing which is up against the step cut into the axle.....
Morris, wouldn't the snap rings be in the way of all this lateral pressure?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #26
KMP259
Not Yet Wild

Gorno

As you apply torque to the axle nut .... you compress the hub on the splines and the inside edge of the hub will compress on a washer then the thrust washer and press it up against the inner race of the bearing...... Locking everything down so the axle,hub,and inner race are one unit.

I went thru this when we changed over to the 9" rotors and disc brakes on the rear of all of our LSV's..... I had to measure each one and make sure the hub was compressing everything to the inner race so the bearing worked like it's suppose to .... any play in there will destroy the thrust washer first and then the bearing.....

We just went to Motion industry and got some thrust washers that had a OD that fit inside the snap ring and the right ID as the axle shaft.

And you can measure the end of the axle shaft to the hub to know how much squeeze you are getting.

And no the snap ring is only for the outer race to hold the bearing in the axle housing.

KMP259
KMP259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Scottyb, the parts arrived as promised, thanx again for the fast and personal service from Carts Unlimited.

The new bearing also slides right onto the old axle and will not require a press. It has zero play and does not spin on the shaft. I'm gonna just go for it and hope for the best. Now for my question.

The seals you sent do not resemble the one I removed, so I have no reference as to which way they face on the axle. Can you describe the proper orientation of the seal? Instinct directs me to have the flat side face the differential and the "cavity" side face the bearing....
Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Scottyb, the parts arrived as promised, thanx again for the fast and personal service from Carts Unlimited.

The new bearing also slides right onto the old axle and will not require a press. It has zero play and does not spin on the shaft. I'm gonna just go for it and hope for the best. Now for my question.

The seals you sent do not resemble the one I removed, so I have no reference as to which way they face on the axle. Can you describe the proper orientation of the seal? Instinct directs me to have the flat side face the differential and the "cavity" side face the bearing....
It is the opposite. The flat side faces the bearing and the cavity faces the oil.
This makes it possible to use a 1.125 socket to send the seal down the tube far enough to allow the oiled bearing to follow it to perfect depth... which is just deep enough to insert the snap ring.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #29
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like something I better keep an eye on for my 30 MPH toy. I weigh around 290 myself. Though mine is a '96, the rear end has a 2007 tag on it.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #30
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Repair completed! A few minor issues but nothing a stiff drink couldn't fix. I'll do the passenger side later this summer when I have more time. For now, we prepare for Blenderfest 2011! (next weekend)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO