lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default g-22 charger wont kick on

I noticed yesterday that my cart hadn't charged in about 3 weeks. My battery level meter shows about 3 bars from the bottom. When I plug it in nothing happens no lights - nothing. I tried the charger on another 48v cart and it works. What could be wrong, batteries too low or a bad battery? Any suggestions? Thank you.
twistc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: g-22 charger wont kick on

any ideas?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistc3 View Post
I noticed yesterday that my cart hadn't charged in about 3 weeks. My battery level meter shows about 3 bars from the bottom. When I plug it in nothing happens no lights - nothing. I tried the charger on another 48v cart and it works. What could be wrong, batteries too low or a bad battery? Any suggestions? Thank you.
Yes, after sitting for extended periods of time (useually a month), the battery set voltage drops. When they drop below 44 volts, the MAC charger doesn't "sence" it's plugged in. You will need to "force charge" the batteries to get over 44 plus volts, do a search for "force chargeing", there are many way's. I alway's recommend leaving the "fully automatic" charger plugged in after every use, it will turn on and off as needed to keep the batteries fully charged. The only "flaw" is if the "AC" power is interupted, that stops the "cycle" and can not start again till the charger is unplugged from the car and replugged to start the cycle again.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks smallblock, a local mechanic told me that the batteries probably dipped below but i have been hesitant to hook a battery charger up to each one individually. Is it harder on the batteries if you charge them after only using the cart for a short period of time or better to charge them no matter how long i use the cart?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

smallblock, i read where people are using a car charger and hooking two batteries up at a time. When i go to charge with a car charger can i leave all of the batteries hooked up and connected to each other? When i hook up a set of two, do i just connect the positive from one with the negative of the other? Sorry, kind of new to this whole battery issue, i guess i shouldn't taken 3 weeks off of golf during the winter!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistc3 View Post
smallblock, i read where people are using a car charger and hooking two batteries up at a time. When i go to charge with a car charger can i leave all of the batteries hooked up and connected to each other? When i hook up a set of two, do i just connect the positive from one with the negative of the other? Sorry, kind of new to this whole battery issue, i guess i shouldn't taken 3 weeks off of golf during the winter!
Yes you can charge 2 -8 volts with a 12 volt charger. Yes 2 batteries at a time and one battery positive and next battery negative. Yes you can leave all the battery cables connected, but I do recommend putting the Run/tow switch into tow, it will protect the controller. I beleive it was Gorno, that said you can charge one 8 volt battery with a 12 volt charger for a certin period of time. Might do a search in this section about it. I do recommend after every use to plug in the charger and leave it plugged in till the next use. The new chargers (Mac included) are fully automatic. They will go thrugh there charging cycle and go to green (stop chargeing), but at some point they sence voltage drop and will turn on and off as needed. The only flaw is if the AC power should go off, that will stop the charge cycle and untill the AC is restored and the dc cord is unplugged the car and replugged in, it will not start the charging cycle. Does that make sence? Hope so.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

thanks for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha