lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
makeitloudnfast
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy ez go not wanting to go...

Looking for some help here. I have an 83 ezgo medalist with two major problems. I picked this cart up none running 2 years ago for $100, put new gas and a solinoid on it and messed around with it for a couple months. Was looking for something to take ice fishing this year so I bought some chains and pulled the old beast out. Now the problems, when ever I go to move it it has to be completely choked, it revs up, moves one foot, then dies back onto the starter and will crank all day but not budge. Untill I let off the pedal then try and start again and get the same result. I noticed there is a screw missing from the top of the carb??? Wondering what might go there... other problem is as soon I start the cart it is trying to move, motor will not rev freely. Drive clutch? It has done this since I bought it...Maybe related to the fact it has no neutral? Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the way to long post!
makeitloudnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ez go not wanting to go...

If you left raw gas in it for 2 years you will have lots of carburetor problems. All threaded holes should have screws in them... some are mixture adjustment screws, can you post a pic of the carb missing a screw?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
makeitloudnfast
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This guy has a picture of the screw im missing, it is in the right pic just behind the yellow hose. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...used-carb.html And I definatley drained the gas before I parked it. :)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Running,even barely-running only at full choke is a lack of fuel.Even draining the carb still leaves enough residue to clog it up.Drop the carb,clean the passages with torch-tip cleaners.There is a jet in the top of the carb,this hole remains open.Replace the fuel-filter and fuel-lines,test the fuel-pump output.The cart is a Marathon if its' a 83' 2-cycle.The Medalist came out in 94.5 and its' a 4-stroke with a trans-axle.If your belt is incorrect(too-short)It will try to move when turning-over,or your clutches are hung-up.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
makeitloudnfast
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Must Be a Marathon then lol thanks for the info :) I think I lost that jet last time I cleaned the carb (2 years ago) but it was somehow running without it? It is the same one in the picture I mentioned and I remember having it, but its gone now. Know of a good place where I could buy a new one? or will I have to buy a whole carb? to ebay I go!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

cpp had the best carb prices when i bought mine
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The missing screw is the slow running jet. Without it the engine will suck in way too much air and you will need to choke the engine to redress the balance. To be frank I would cut my losses and just replace the carburetor. In the post you linked to you will see that I recommended a certain vendor but I understand that they have recently been bought out by one of the big guys. I would peruse the sponsors here and look for a target price of ~$100

With regard to the belt and the cart moving, is the clutch on the engine fully open and the clutch on the axle tight shut? It is also possible that someone has fitted a shorter belt as this is a common ruse to increase low end torque. Whilst you are testing I would wind the belt off or jack up the rear to reduce the strain on the starter.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
makeitloudnfast
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know this is an old thread but I figured I would give it a try. I bought a new carb and the cart ran great for about 2 weeks. Then it went back to the old problem. Wondering if anything else could cause this kind of a problem. All suggestions are appreciated and I'll post update as I experiment on the cart. I tried cleaning the new carb and putting it back on but that made no difference.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
hilla
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You might pull the plug and take a look, and also check that you are getting good spark. When I'm pretty sure I have the carb functioning my next step is always the plug and spark.
hilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
makeitloudnfast
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Now I'm starting to get mad at my cart. Pulled plug and got eletricuted then set it on frame and watched it, has plenty of spark. Plug was black and wet when I pulled it so its getting fuel. Removed and cleaned my new carb (again) just to be sure everything was clear. Tested the fuel pump, getting plenty of gas. I'm at a loss. now the cart wont run at all choked or otherwise. I will occassionally get one sputter or cough out of it but that is all. I have a/f mix screw out 3.5 turns and idle air jet turned the whole way in. I might try throwing on the old carb next time I can bear to look at my cart again. WHAT AM I MISSING!!

Tags
die, rev, sputter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO