lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
wfreed
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1991 gas club car cuts out when warmed up

I have read several of the past threads and am convinced that my problem where my gas club car backfires and cuts out when hot is carbon build up on the valves. Is this due to the valves getting hot and expanding to where they stick closed from carbon deposits? After the engine cools down it will run again. How difficult is this repair job, pulling head and gasket, cleaning deposits? What new parts will I need to have on hand, a new head gasket is a given? What else? Thanks.
wfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 gas club car cuts out when warmed up

before you go that route the next time it quits check it for spark.....thats also a classic loss of spark sympton, gets hot quits and when it sits and cools fires back up.....i have never had one due what your saying yours is doing because of carbon build up...........will take 30 seconds to check it for loss of spark.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
wfreed
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1999 gas club car cuts out when warmed up

Thanks. I checked for spark and it is ok.
This 1999 Club Car has had this problem for some time (backfiring) and now cutting out. After a good run, when hot, when you come to a stop, the engine will run on and lurch backwards from stopped position. I replaced the fuel pump last week. I just ran seafoam through the carburetor and am letting it sit. Hopefully it can disolve some of the carbon valve buildup.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
wfreed
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Shadowman, I think you were correct when you said that it was lack of spark. I just ran it and when it cut out I found no spark. Is this due to a bad ignition coil? If so, I have 2 used ones a friend gave me. Can I test them to see which one is best or am I better off buying a new one. It this the correct fix for this problem? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfreed View Post
Shadowman, I think you were correct when you said that it was lack of spark. I just ran it and when it cut out I found no spark. Is this due to a bad ignition coil? If so, I have 2 used ones a friend gave me. Can I test them to see which one is best or am I better off buying a new one. It this the correct fix for this problem? Thanks.
When my coil / igniter went out I put a meter on it and got the same resistance readings regardless of whether it putting out a spark or not (hot or cold). If someone knows a more definitive test I have never heard of it.
These things just appear to have there own set of rules. In my opinion, it's the high voltage across the windings that causes a breakdown but when checking with a VOM you aren't putting much across the coil so you don't see it happening. An electronics lab could probably apply high voltage and scope the results but that would be some considerable time wasted and might cost a few $$$ as well.

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

FC is right theres no real way of testing them as they go bad in so many different ways, if you have a few coils you can try however keep in mind that a 91 also has an exitor coil mounted at flywheel and they go bad also.......also check the connection where they plug into each other? does your coil have anything mounted to it? like a little black box?...........................
Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
wfreed
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you to all that posted responses to my club car problem. It was the ignition coil as Shadowman predicted. With replacement coil installed, it runs like a champ! Thanks again to all!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfreed View Post
Thank you to all that posted responses to my club car problem. It was the ignition coil as Shadowman predicted. With replacement coil installed, it runs like a champ! Thanks again to all!
....your welcome, thats why we hang here to help and get help.....................

Tags
carbon deposits on valves
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car