lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Cool Automatic Charging

I purchased a Club Car for my handicapped Sister and It came with a Power Drive Charger model 17930-11 what I need is for her to be able to plug it in and forget about it untill the next morning! And I need to mount the charger in the cart she lives in a Gov assisted living apart and can't lift and carry it I intend on putting a extension cord retractor on it hose reel etc so she can just pull it to her apartment and plug it in so far this charger will just over charge the batteries 4 of them are 08 and 1 is a 05 and 1 is a 06 I was told that 2 were new but I assumed that was BS to begin with I know the man I purchased it from it was his mothers but he has a 48 volt 1 also so he took the new batteries so I guess replacing them will be on the agenda also I will try the epson salt trick but figure they are junk it wont make it 100 yards the way it is. Back to my issue how can I make the charger work automatic or do I just need to buy something different and if so what make model etc... thanks any information I can get will be most helpfull I have never messed with a golf cart I can build a 650 hp small block but I am a idiot on this. Also spelling is not my best suit either. K C

Last edited by WKC; 02-10-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
WKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Automatic Charging

if the charger is working as it should it is an automatic charger ...........it will shutoff at 16 hours the way its supposed to and if it dosn,t shut off theres a better chance the problem is with the cart and not the charger......for instance a lot of the 1998 and 99 C.C.s when the OBC ( on board computer ) went bad the only indication was that the charger wouldn,t stut off.....problem was in cart not charger now thats not to say problem can,t be in charger but more often then not its in the cart...............so you need to plug the charger in and leave it alone and see if it shuts off after 16 hours if so all is good...........and tell your sister whenever she plugs the charger in to charge the cart its very important to leave it charge until the charger shuts off by itself, the best way to ruin the batteries is to charge them a few hours and unplug and drive if that happens she,ll end up stuck somewhere with dead batteries........................................8 )
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

When you say you're going to mount the charger in the cart I'm assuming you're going to hard-wire the DC cord to the battery pack. Correct? In turn, this will give you only one cord to worry about. The AC cord. Here's the problem you're going to have. The cart is going to think it's always "Plugged in" due to the hardwired configuration. The factory onboard chargers are the same as the standalone chargers except for one component. It's called an AC interrupt circuit board. However, the same result can be achieved much easier and cheaper than this. Once you cut the plug off of the DC cord you'll see the three wires, Blue, Red, and Black. Red and Black are naturally positive and negative. Red will go to #1 Battery POS and black will go to the back of the charger receptacle. Look near the top of the receptacle and you'll see a fuse bolted to it with a black wire on each side. Hook your black wire from your cord to the side of the fuse that jumps into the receptacle, and NOT the one that runs down into the OBC harness. If you were to hook it up to this side you'd have an un-fused connection and risk OBC damage or possibly even a fire. No good. So hook the black wire to the side with the jumper for safety reasons. The blue wire is the charger control wire and will need to tie into the grey wire with the fuse in the yellow rubber fuse holder. This grey wire is the feed from the OBC that ties into the blue charger control wire in your cord. These are very easy connections but this wire is the one that is going to cause the issue with the cart not running. A very simple fix would be to put a toggle switch on this wire. Switch it off, cart thinks charger is unplugged and will run. Switch it on, cart wont run but it will charge. Another option would be to install a 5 post 48V relay with a Normally OPEN and Normally CLOSED post. This is totally opposite from any 48V relay that Club Car carries but it does exist. The relay would be wired to operate off of the keyswitch. Once the keyswitch is turned on the relay would click and break the circuit of the control wire, making the car think it has been unplugged and will allow the car to run. Turn key off, car won't run, connection is made on control wire and car will charge.

I recommend the Potter and Brumfield relays over anything else. The relay you're looking for is "T9AP5D52-48"
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Automatic Charging

Will the charger take the beating from being on the cart hitting bumps etc...And if it is the cart not shutting it off what does the board cost or is it a simple fix I have a friend that is a Electricial Engineer and he has a lot of control parts can it be repaired like that?
I would use the relay I allready have 1 that I used for a Hyd Generator although it is 12 volt so it might not work with the normal setup but I was thinking that I needed to put a 12 volt bottery in the cart to run a heater and to charge it I would use a 2 amp automatic trinkle charger that would come on when she plugs the cart in and what will driving it in the rain do to the charger I am not sure what I can put in in that will keep it dry but let it breath so it wont over heat any ideas? K C

Last edited by WKC; 02-11-2012 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: added more information
Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

we all have different opinions on this....as far as keeping charger in cart i don,t because of dirt, water, and driving conditions.....but i,m not handicapped either , if your sister can take care of it thats one thing but if she can,t than it might not be a good idea just my opinion...........if the cart needs a OBC its approx 150.00 give or take.................are there other ways around it yeah but they also cost money and with this being for a handicap person do you want5 cart right? whos gonna do the maintence and repairs? lots of ifs and buts but since i have a brother who is quad handicapped i would want everything in the right working condition for him again just my opinion ....................1st thing is find out if theres anything wrong plug charger in and let it go for the 16 hours............................
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ok thanks I have a friend that lives in the same town that can help with the maintenance part so you are correct first things first Ei will try this charger and go from there thanks kc
Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ok here is the update I removed all of the caps to make sure that all of the batteries were full of acid and good to go then I did as you told me to and hooked up the charger and let it go at first it ramper way up but then setteled down to 2 amps and after 16 hours it was more really when I checked but the charger was on 0 . Now when you say it shuts off what do you mean it quits charging and just hums or it quits charging and shuts completely off making no noise and is not humming. Mine went to 0 but it was still running just humming along is that normal? I also got a little more information from the seller and was told that a little black switch in the charger was bad and that the charger would not do anything when he got it so he went to a golf course and the guy there put a jumper wire on it to make it work so now I don't know exactly where I stand I guess I will take the charger apart and look this is like Paul Harvey and now for the rest of the story! This sucks I prtobably over Paid for the *** thing in the first place because the Older woman that owned it rarely used it and was told that it had 2 new batteries and the rest were good now I cleaned it up and 4 batteries are 08 and 2 mismatched I find out the charger has been jumperied out and I still need to do a whole lot of work to it before I will turn it over to her Paint it Bright Yellow instyall Flags,seatbelts,turn signals,heater make it as safe as I can install a reel retractor for the power cord etc... I paid $1200 for it with good tires a new enclouser and lights and it was supposed to have good batteries now I guess I am looking at 6 batteries and who knows what for seat belts heaters etc... I thought I was doing a good thing now I really don't know But any way what do you mean by the charger shuts off??
Thanks K C
PS if anybody has some parts they don't need like seat belts turn signal switch and can make me a good deal Pleaqe speak up I need to find the best for thr least if you know what I mean.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

ok from your last post here if they did what i think they did then charger is not going to shut off......it should shut off quit humming and all.........but its possible the cart has a bad OBC and thats why they put the jumper in the charger they bypassed the low voltage sensor or relay so charger would work..............the only way to find out for sure is open the charger and put it back to the way its sup;posed to be and see if it works............unless the relay is bad ( rare but possible ) thats better than OBC being bad but you still need to find out because if charger won,t shut off its going to ruin batteries in time.......can you open charger and take some pics of the area where the circuit breaker and towards middle of cover? and post.......................
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
WKC
Getting Wild

Club Car

I will tomorrow I was going to take the charger apart anyway to find out just what is going on he did say that tey thougt the part was bad in the charger and that is why it was jumped but I suspect that the Cart has the bad part and they did this for a cheap fix I know this Guy and he would have charged his Mother $250 for fixing it and then just did the jumper thing she would never have knowen what he did but I will take it apart and try to post the picture thanks K C
Old 02-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I suspect a bad charger relay. Cheap and easy fix.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car