lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
tenn_blue59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How many horsepower do I need?

I have a CC Carryall 2 that I am rebuilding - basically came to me in several piles....

The stock motor in it is blown. I want to eventually put a big block in the cart, but want to just get it going for now. Short term, I have a running briggs engine sitting around I could use at minimal cost if it would work. But it is only 10 hp - would that be enough for a stock cart, no lift, bigger wheels, etc? This would just be a utility cart - back and forth to the barn - no off roading, no racing, no heavy loads.

Physical fit works ok in the cart. Most of the fab work will eventually carry over to the big block when I upgrade. But I don't want to put the engine in there if it won't move it...

Second, my driven clutch is missing. Can I use one from a taylor dane cart (I have one) as long as the shafts and belts are the same size?

Thanks!
tenn_blue59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: How many horsepower do I need?

well considering that a standard DS motor knocks out approx 9.5 HP and a 350 makes around 12 HP I'd say your on the right track.

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Hmmmm... it really depends on the year of the cart!

85 to 96 is Counterclockwise rotation, and 96 to date is Clockwise rotation
The FE290 is 9.5 hp and the FE350 is 11.5 hp

Soooo... the horsepower is close... it just depends on the rotation,
and how you plan on wiring it up to make it run properly!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

FC's a quicker typer then I am!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
tenn_blue59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, Thanks for the reply. I went and checked a fw things,

First, it is a carryall 1 not 2. Based on the serial number (FG9812-xxxxxx) it was manufactured in 1998.

Engine is the FE290D, so this would nominaly be a horsepower increase....

What is the reference for determining rotation direction? Depending on where you stand it can be either way... Looking at the shaft from the end of it (in front of the shaft) or from behind the shaft housing (looking down the shaft toward the end)? I know that sounds stupid, but I don't know which way to look at it from..

I want to include the existing motors starter/generator - the drive clutch has the pulley for the starter belt built into it, so that should be managable. So the motor will start/stop with the gas pedal. I have read the posts here on adding a relay to the ground circuit to kill the engine.

Are the forward/reverse gear ratios the same on the transaxle? If so, I could switch forward/reverse if rotation direction is wrong. Or I can use a stubshaft off the flywheel so the clutch rotates the correct direction if needed.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

B & S engines are counterclockwise, (looking directly at the crank shaft, opposite of the flywheel)
and your 98 trans-axle, and S/G are clockwise! (from what I understand, it's standard for 96+ CC's only!)
The 9.5hp compared to a 10hp is not all that much of an increase, it may not even be noticeable!
Plus, I'm not sure that your engine will have the RPM's needed to go anywhere "fast"!

Yes... you can still do it, but you'll have to replace the Starter/Generator,
and when you want to go forward, the shifter will have to be in reverse.

Many people here have Briggs V-twin engine's in their carts, and don't mind the forward/reverse thing,
there are different gear ratio's between F & R, so, you'll have more torque, but, less top end speed!
and I've heard that there's an adapter shaft for the flywheel side on the Briggs v-twins,
But, I'm not sure if it would work on a 10hp single cylinder engine!

And in all honesty... I have no clue if your Taylor Dane clutch will work!

There's a big block/clone section here that may be able to help you figure it out!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-block-talk/

Hope this helps!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Don is quite correct. Almost every off the shelf aftermarket engine will be CCW rotation. Therefore, you will be compromising your forward speed through the axle ratio but all is not lost. You can hop up the forward speed with some fairly simple modifications to bring it back to something close to standard performance but as with everything it comes with a price; the engine will be revving higher which will naturally wear it out faster for one thing but provided you are sensible that is not necessarily to much of an issue. Standard engines are "choked" back to an amazing degree in the interests of reliability and longevity and can easily withstand an additional 1000 rpms or so which will bring your cart right back to around standard performance levels.
The information and your options are jaw dropping on this site. Cruise around and you will be amazed at what folks are doing. I, myself am currently converting a FWD electric cart to RWD gasoline power and that's nothing compared to some other projects that people have going on. Don't be discouraged, It's been done or is being done in all four corners of the globe.

FC.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
tenn_blue59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys! I use this forum for information a lot, especially when I was getting my 2 cycle Ezgo going. Been wrenchin cars/bikes/etc for a while, but carts seem to be a whole nuther animal!

Seems like most of the conversions using the CC use the older "normal" transaxle, from the searches I've done here. EVENTUALLY, I see a 16hp engine in this and bigger wheels/tires, so that will bring the speed back up. Or I could go spend $500.00 for a new gear set for the transaxle

Looks like running "in reverse" is going to be the easiest choice.

I may just bite the bullet and buy the 16hp clone and put it in now.

Still have the question about the driven clutch though. The driven clutch on the Taylor is counterclockwise,but I need a clockwise one for the club car (existing one on the clubcar is mangled). Looks like the clutch would function either way - has ramps on both sides. Anyone know? Shaft and belt are same size so looks like it would fit...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_blue59 View Post
Thanks guys! I use this forum for information a lot, especially when I was getting my 2 cycle Ezgo going. Been wrenchin cars/bikes/etc for a while, but carts seem to be a whole nuther animal!

Seems like most of the conversions using the CC use the older "normal" transaxle, from the searches I've done here. EVENTUALLY, I see a 16hp engine in this and bigger wheels/tires, so that will bring the speed back up. Or I could go spend $500.00 for a new gear set for the transaxle

Looks like running "in reverse" is going to be the easiest choice.

I may just bite the bullet and buy the 16hp clone and put it in now.

Still have the question about the driven clutch though. The driven clutch on the Taylor is counterclockwise,but I need a clockwise one for the club car (existing one on the clubcar is mangled). Looks like the clutch would function either way - has ramps on both sides. Anyone know? Shaft and belt are same size so looks like it would fit...
You will need to instal the opposite wound spring for CCW rotation.

FC
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car