lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Thumper_abn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36v EZGO power issues

I just got an 98 EZGO 36v electric. Not sure of the model. It seems to have an issue with hills. I've had to pull it in from the yard already and I've only had it 2 weeks.
Here's a little back story. I got it in a trade and it looked like I had a pretty good deal. The guy said the batteries were 2-3 yrs old. I checked them and it has 2 trojan 105s, and 4 low end deep cycles/cart batteries. I had to put 1.5 gallons into the 4 off brand batteries. I've spent 30-45 minutes cleaning out the charger(it sat in a barn with the cart). I've checked the voltage of the pack before chg and it was 36.7v. It reads 40.8v after the charger shuts off. Nothing seems hot or abnormal with the charging.
I've taken it out to where I hunt and rode around with the wife and kids. We had to tow it up the hill with a 4 wheeler to get out. It runs fine on the flat ground and slight inclines but any type of hill seems to kill it.
I re-wired the lights to a separate 12v auto battery and redid the switch for that hoping that may help.
Tonight we rode around the yard to check aiming of the lights. Got to the upper side of the yard and I stopped to let the wife and little girl get adjusted. It wouldn't start back up. I tried reverse, nothing. Back to forward and nothing. I went back and forth several times trying to get a response but it never moved. Had to push it into the garage.
Any ideas or advise?
Thumper_abn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v EZGO power issues

You could have battery issues. First lets identify which drive system you have...

The last 2 numbers of the manufactures code is the year, located inside the passenger side glove box, the 2004 and newer ezgos dont have a serial number plate in the box, they have a serial number sticker under the rear access panel behind the seat, and then on the driverside frame rail below the floor board.

DCS will have a F&R lever behind the driver's knee and a run/tow switch on the enviromental cover on the controller. The backside of the f&R looks round like a hockey puck.

PDS carts will have a Tow/Run switch with toggle switch for F&R on the dash

SERIES carts will have a shift lever like the dcs cart down by your legs, but it will NOT have a tow/run switch. Also the actual F&R switch is in the corner by the controller and there is linkage from it to the lever in the center.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Thumper_abn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

In that case it's a series cart.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's good... My guess is you have battery issues. The charger will take the pack up to 42-44 volts it will settle overnight to 38.4 = 100% capacity... 50% discharged is 36.1v that is as low as you should go....

One weak battery can cause the problems you describe. Anytime I have to add more than a gallon to 4 batteries I suspect irreversible damage... they have either been charged while low on water or left for a long time at a low voltage or state of charge. Either way is damaging...

You can get a Hydrometer at the autoparts store and check them 12 hours after the charge and see what you got....
Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Thumper_abn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That was what I was thinking. I guess that's to be expected.
I'm looking to make into primarily a hunting cart and a fun yard cart for the family.
It has a rear facing back seat right now, but I plan on putting a utility bed on it.
I already have a cargo carrier/basket that was donated to the project. Just need to cut it down and make the supports for it. It was 25 today so that was out. Likely will be until I get it running stronger and it warms up enough to play outside.
Thanks for the help.
Any ideas for mods on it?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have helped lots of guys bump their carts up to get the more hill climbing torque and flat ground speed.... You can start with some heavier cables and controller upgrade. Some guys go up in voltage too... Just remember the more stuff you bolt onto the cart the more it weighs and the more it weighs and the bigger the tires are .... the more power you need for the hills... Check out some of the controller pkgs on my website. There is some great battery tutorials there too to help get you familiar with the golf cart battery system. Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

where you at in NC Thumper?
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Thumper_abn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just east of Charlotte.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The no reverse problem could be an F&R problem
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Thumper_abn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Any tips on testing it to make sure?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO