lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
gnarbrah
Not Yet Wild

Default 2012 EZGO TXT - New Motor/Controller

Hi all - first post here. recently picked up a 2012 TXT and it's got a pretty "growly" motor. Pretty sure there's a bad bearing in it. It's got 26" tires (I'll probably drop down to 22" or 23") with a 6" Rhox lift. Runs great but I'm thinking it'll be time for a new motor sooner than later. I'm looking at D&D. Talked to them earlier today and they recommended the 500:1 motor but their tool on the site recommends the 502:1. Guy on the phone said their motors rev higher and I would be better served with a new controller as well. I'm cool with that. Hopefully a buy once cry once scenario.

Question is what are your thoughts on the 500:1 vs. 502:1?
Also, Is there any particular controller model I should be looking at - same one (500 amp 5021 TS) for either motor?

I'm in FL so hills aren't a concern just huge tires and the occasional curb!

Thanks
gnarbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2012 EZGO TXT - New Motor/Controller

If you go with an aftermarket motor and controller I'd recommend an Alltrax 500 amp or 400 amp.

The 300 amp, while still an upgrade from the stock controller, isn't enough for an aftermarket motor (or so I've been told)

They also offer a 501 motor.
https://ddmotorsystems.com/ChooseAMo...otors-Computer

It wasn't on the initial search screen. It offers a 10% increase in torque and still good speed.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

my 2013 txt with 25" tires and 500 amp controller with a plumbquick motor will hit 37 mph with me and my golden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caleb golf cart 2.jpg (65.9 KB, 0 views)
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
gnarbrah
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info!

I like the idea of the 501 motor - middle of the road sounds good.

So here's a question - if that motor states "18mph" and you're getting 30+ with a plumquick motor what can I expect with a new D&D? I really wouldn't want to lose speed with a new motor and controller. Mine hit 21mph with 4 people on board as it sits.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarbrah View Post
Thanks for the info!

I like the idea of the 501 motor - middle of the road sounds good.

So here's a question - if that motor states "18mph" and you're getting 30+ with a plumquick motor what can I expect with a new D&D? I really wouldn't want to lose speed with a new motor and controller. Mine hit 21mph with 4 people on board as it sits.
D&D considers 12-14 MPH as the stock speed on stock height (18" tall) tires and 12.44:1 gears. The cart speed with the 501:1 is 18MPH, so it has about a 38% speed gain over the stock motor. Add 38% to the speed you are getting with the stock motor and you get about 29MPH.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
gnarbrah
Not Yet Wild

Wow - I like the sound of that! 29mph is probably faster than I'll ever need but would be nice to have it available!

So another question - when adding a new motor and controller like I'm planning on, how does it affect battery life/range?
Old 09-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. Wow - I like the sound of that! 29mph is probably faster than I'll ever need but would be nice to have it available!

2. So another question - when adding a new motor and controller like I'm planning on, how does it affect battery life/range?
1. If you change tires it might be faster. 21MPH on 26" tires is slower than what the math says. Some of it is due to the 30% torque loss caused by the tire height, but if the tires are the low pressure type, that slows the cart also.

2. Unless you start discharging the batteries more or charging less often, the battery life will pretty much stay the same. As for range, it depends on how heavy your foot is with the new setup.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #8
gnarbrah
Not Yet Wild

The tires are rated for 10 psi. I'm guessing that's pretty low. They sure float over grass though!
I'll most likely drop down to a 22" or 23" just because and likely something that holds a higher pressure.

So I'm 90% sure I'm going to order the D&D 501 motor, 500 amp controller, solenoid and wire kit.

I'm leaving it in your professional opinions if this is the way to go!
Old 09-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The tires are rated for 10 psi. I'm guessing that's pretty low. They sure float over grass though!
I'll most likely drop down to a 22" or 23" just because and likely something that holds a higher pressure.

So I'm 90% sure I'm going to order the D&D 501 motor, 500 amp controller, solenoid and wire kit.

I'm leaving it in your professional opinions if this is the way to go!
larger sidewall with a lower pressure equals a softer ride
smaller sidewall with a higher pressure equals a harsher ride
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are a lot of factors involved with picking the best motor for a specific cart. The controller and cables are easier picks. Altrax XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) for the controller and 4Ga (or thicker) for the 10 piece cable set.

Living in FL more or less eliminates the hill climbing factors, so the motors don't have to have as much increased torque to offset the torque loss caused by tall tires. So the 501:1 (there are 501:2 and 501:3 motors also - so be sure to include the suffix) ought to do well with 22" or 23" tires with normal (about 20PSI or so) inflation pressures.

As coldair alluded to, lower profile tires have a harsher ride.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO