lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
Finn5033
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 Melex 36v solid state?

Hello all, I’m back in the golf cart game. Looking for a decent electric cart with solid state. I found one listed, all it says is it’s a 1991 melex 36v cart. Does not list what model. I found some information on vintage carts site that says the melex was one of the first to switch to solid state in the 80’s. By 1991 would all of the electric carts be solid state? My last golf cart was an 82 electric Harley cart that was resistor, at the time I knew nothing about it. I kind of wish I would have kept that cart and switched it over to solid state but thats water under the bridge now.

They are selling it with brand new batteries for $1,100 because they say after they put the new batteries in they are having an issue with power on it. Add says they are not mechanical and want to upgrade anyways so they don’t want to deal with fixing it. I don’t know exactly what the problem is but for this price I’m fine buying it and figuring it out.

So anyways long story short, my question is would all 1991 Melex electric carts be solid state? Or is there a chance depending on the model that it’s still resistor? Thanks in advance
Finn5033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1991 Melex 36v solid state?

Only to tell for sure is to go look at it, odds are it is solid state but...

Plan on replacing all the wiring and hope the controller is good. I paid $800 for a similar advertised Melex with new tires and wished I hadn't bought it. It's sitting in my shop waiting for me to make new cables and clean up 25 years of corosion. If I don't get it running right I will never get my money back out of it.

I have an old Cushman 3 wheeler that I really like that I am going to convert to solid state. Would have been allot better off putting the $800 in the Cushman in the first place.
BobInOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:35 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 Melex 36v solid state?

Melex was the first to offer solid state. I don't know when they stopped making resistor carts. But as stated above you have to look at it to tell.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex