lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2023, 04:09 PM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Oversized Club cart solenoid

You might have gotten a bad solenoid or the incorrect voltage one. Its capacity won’t have anything to with the issues you were having. Glad it is working again.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2023, 04:24 PM   #12
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
You might have gotten a bad solenoid or the incorrect voltage one. Its capacity won’t have anything to with the issues you were having. Glad it is working again.
Hmm a larger coil could require more current to actuate it. Not saying that is or isnt whats going on here but its possible.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:33 PM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sw180 has a 14 watt rating on the coil if I read it right. Stock solenoid will be close to that.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:49 AM   #14
cueball94
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The solenoid always activated on throttle, and the label states 48V 200A.
The problem is a reverse issue, so I'm leaning towards the half speed voltage circuit as the problem. I'm tempted to bypass that resistor, but it's hidden somewhere in that gray accordion channel. Also, sending full voltage to the reverse circuit is a safety issue.

Fyi.... swapping out the solenoid is no picnic. The easiest way is to remove the right rear wheel, and it's splash cowling, or prepare to engage in using some 4-letter words you never thought were in your vocabulary.
cueball94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:50 AM   #15
cueball94
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Hmm a larger coil could require more current to actuate it. Not saying that is or isnt whats going on here but its possible.
The solenoid always activated on throttle, and the label states 48V 200A.
The problem is a reverse issue, so I'm leaning towards the half speed voltage circuit as the problem. I'm tempted to bypass that resistor, but it's hidden somewhere in that gray accordion channel. Also, sending full voltage to the reverse circuit is a safety issue.

Fyi.... swapping out the solenoid is no picnic. The easiest way is to remove the right rear wheel, and it's splash cowling, or prepare to engage in using some 4-letter words you never thought were in your vocabulary.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:15 AM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If it is the resistor that I think you are talking about it is in the throttle circuit. It has nothing to do with the solenoid or at least it shouldn’t. If you put your meter leads on the two small terminals of the solenoid and activate it the voltage should be the same for forward and reverse.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:28 AM   #17
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
If it is the resistor that I think you are talking about it is in the throttle circuit. It has nothing to do with the solenoid or at least it shouldn’t. If you put your meter leads on the two small terminals of the solenoid and activate it the voltage should be the same for forward and reverse.
Right there should be a snubbed diode across the coil or 2 small terminals. the resistor goes across the 2 main terminals. It's job is to prevent arching when the solenoid is deactivated.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:31 AM   #18
cueball94
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Yes, that makes sense. I'll test the Voltage across the activation circuit in both directions and see if there is a differential.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:54 AM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Right there should be a snubbed diode across the coil or 2 small terminals. the resistor goes across the 2 main terminals. It's job is to prevent arching when the solenoid is deactivated.
Correct to a point. The resistor on the solenoid is to prevent arcing on both activation and deactivation.

On the 2002 DS there is also a resistor in the reverse throttle circuit so it runs slower.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:44 AM   #20
cueball94
Not Yet Wild

With the SW180, the symptoms in reverse vary. When I switch into reverse, sometimes I get nothing, sometimes it engages only when at the half throttle position, sometimes nothing unless I switch from rev then to fwd and back to rev. No solid symptoms.
But, I have none of these issues with the stock solenoid. So, I've ruled out the FNR switch. Go figure.

Update: For what it's worth

Pack Voltage 52.4

SW180 activation voltage in both directions = 50.5v
Stock = 51.2 both directions
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car