lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
WTH
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Fuel, compression, and spark questions

Here goes. I'm new to the site and carts. I have a 92 Marathon with a 4 cycle engine. I got it from my nephew who was told the motor did not have enough compression to create the vacume to operate the fuel pump. He took the fuel lines off, and started to take the carb off but lost intrest.

The motor turns over and by holding my thumb over the hose going to the fuel pump, it feels like it has good suction. I haven't been able to see if it will pump fuel because he lost one of the fuel lines and I haven't been to the parts store yet.

I pulled the plugs and they looked good, checked the spark and it had a faint orange spark, looked a little weak to me.

So I haven't checked much, but I dont know what I'm looking for as I dont have the specs for compression, fire, fuel, etc. I am in need of a manual but I did not find one for a 92 Marathon on the site. I'm sure I missed it but if someone could direct me to it, that would be great.

Thanks
WTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel, compression, and spark questions

Try the tech section to find the manual. That should be a 295cc engine ya got there. I would definitely check comp. to start with before I got to involved. 145 to 155 is ideal. I've seen 130 work, but power loss was noticeable. If she's showin below 140, you need to check valve lash and see if that is the problem. If valve lash is ok, you probably have a valve issue or rings are worn out. BTW, post some picks and let us see what ya got!!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
WTH
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel, compression, and spark questions (Pictures Added)

Got it check compression first.

By the way I found a manual for that engine on the tech page. Any ideas about a manual for the cart as a whole that would cover brakes, suspension, etc.

Here are some pictures if I can get them to post.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
WTH
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Good News, Good News!

I checked the compression and it was showing 150. so I put some new fuel lines and filter on it, and the fuel pump worked great. I noticed from another thread about adjusting the govener, and saw that it was miss adjusted. I tightened it up a bit and kept turning it over, waiting to smell gas. The darn thing almost ran over me when it started!!!

I was able to drive it around the yard but it was sputtering and backfiring a little when I was going over the rough parts of the yard (pasture). Anyone have any idea about carb settings or what would cause the sputtering?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The sputering may be caused by crud in the carb inlet needle seat causing it
to flood out. Check the plug when it is sputtering, take the wrench with you.
It sounds as tho the nephew is not a wrench kind of guy.
You have new lines and filter, finish the job with a good carb cleaning.
Take it off and do it right.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

It's possible that backfiring could be a timing issue.. Theres a sticky at the top of the page on how the timing should be adjusted. You might also want to check the lash on those valves just in case...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
WTH
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cleaned the carb, no more sputtering or back firing. Runs great!!! Plan on getting to the valve settings in the next day or two. Along with new spark plugs and an oil change.

Is there anything else I should check or replace since I dont really know the history of the cart?

Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Think you got it whooped. Ride the hell out of it and see how it does!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO