lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Charging

Just purchased a 1989 Club Car DS bought new batteries for it old ones were shot when i hook the battery charger up it makes a loud hum and the gauge never moves. i called and they said they use to have this problem when they would plug the charger in at there shed but when they ran an extension cord from main power it would work does this even make sense?
shatteredglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charging

Question did you get correct voltage batterys for cart and are they wired in series to give you total pack voltage of 36 volts? This happens to all of us at one time or other that we wire incorrectly?? Do you have a digital volt meter to do some tests, and if so check for voltage from total pack? If the cord and power plug in power sourse is light duty and long it can make some difference, BUT normally causes breaker either on front of CC charger or house fuse to blow or trip? What brand of charger do you have and is it correct voltage like 36 OR 48 volts to match your cart and does it have a timer that shuts charger off after a certain time limit? It could be a problem with charger or fues inline behind cart receptical and if possible I would take charger to another same voltage CC cart and see if it works correctly. Did you purchase cart from dealer with warrentee or individual no warentee, if dealer have him solve problem for you otherwise you will be stuck with possible repairs? Sounds like ( THEY ) are trying to pass the buck whoever they may be?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Chandan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

We have supplied US Battery Model US12VXC for Club Car's
(2007-2008-2009 model) currently fitted out with Trojan
T1275 batteries.

Though the US batteries are higher in capacity the run times
acheived is far less (18holes as against 27-36 with Trojan's).
I have been told that the recharge factor is 1.1 +/- 4%. On
tests in our service centre we acheived the rated capacity
on load when we recharged the batteries with a Benning
(german) charger using a Wa-Puls recharge regime.

Does anyone know how we can increase the recharge factor
on the OBC ?
Chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredglass View Post
Just purchased a 1989 Club Car DS bought new batteries for it old ones were shot when i hook the battery charger up it makes a loud hum and the gauge never moves. i called and they said they use to have this problem when they would plug the charger in at there shed but when they ran an extension cord from main power it would work does this even make sense?
It is the charger that came with the cart i have a friend that has a 36 volt charger when i hooked up to his the gauge moved so that tells me the batteries are hooked up right?????? or would think?
shatteredglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Makes sense .... could be diode group is bad in the old charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The only person that I know of that has done a analasis of OBC's is Doctor Bob ( may have wrong spelling on avatar name ) on our forum. Unless you go to manufacturer I doubt that anyone can help you? To change charge factors would amount to a electronic change that would have to be built into each OBC? Might be possibly to add a resistor set factor wire through OBC???
In looking at Trojan site I see what amounts to comparison of possible major competition like Crown C-165, US Battery 8 V XC, to Trojan T875 and their results show both as shorter run times and shorter cycle numbers, with US closer than Crown?
Several factors come to mind and one is "Could the 20 amp hour rating be higher than actual production" years ago I worked at a EXIDE battey regional plant and they would pick special built items NOT from production line to rate so that they could meet higher standards and get goverment contracts? I'm not saying this is the case but is just a possibilty? Mass production amounts to wide variations in quality and different componate suppliers can do the same?
The other point is how well was battery break in performed and allowed to be completed and was this the results of many different carts and OBC's or just a few? The importants of proper break in cant be ignored as its a major factor in quality of range and life span. This alone could cause what you are seeing with shorter run times.
I would guess that if you really checked different OBC outputs that you will get a wide range of charge readings?
Not being familiar with charger and regime you used I can only say that its possible that they have a tendancy to charge to a much higher rate and be more like a equalizing charge than a normal one? Have you tested batterys after charge is completed and found a higher than normal voltage reading?
Just wonder where is Dubai?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

we know it has to be a 36 volt cart, 1st thing is print out the battery layoyut and make surev they are cables right, if you can try your charger on a good working cart to see if charger works that would help also but i would start by making sure you put the cables on right it dosn,t take much to mis-cable one .................................................8 )
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car