lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
xavier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Blinking yellow battery light

The yellow battery light on the dash is blinking while the key is turned off. Is this normal? And if so what does it mean? Thanks!
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Blinking yellow battery light

might be trying to tell you something, 1st thing charge the cart let it sit for several hours or ride it 100 feet than get to testing batteries, what year is cart? what model and the age of batteries will all help here.....yellow light i take it that its a 48 volt cart................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
SV1
Getting Wild

See if your situation matches any of these.
This is from the 07 and 05 precedent owners manuals. (same write up in both manuals) Those years have the 4 12Vs so I would think this would be the same for the 08. If they are not the same, the guys that know what their doing will let us know.
Attached Files
File Type: doc warning light.doc (210.0 KB, 49 views)
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
xavier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey fellas, thanks for the replies. Since posting my question I spoke with Club Car directly. They directed me to the on board computer and the wire coming off the negative terminal on the #6 battery. Apparently the wire is actually directional and if hooked up backwards it will confuse the sensors inside the computer. Which in turn will mess with the charging cycles. For those who didn't know (LIKE ME) the hole in the middle of the computer that the wire goes through actually serves a purpose beyond supporting the wire and holding it in place. There are actually sensors inside that can detect the current flow through the insulation. Haven't tried the fix yet, but that's where i'm at. I'll let everyone know.

By the way for anyone who may be experiencing the same thing. The flash cycle of the indicator was as follows.

Charging plugged in and immediately turned on. Ten seconds later it would shut off and the yellow light would come on.

Light would stay on for 5 seconds then shut off. Light would then come back on for 30 seconds and then shut off again. This cycle continued indefinately.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i wasn,t aware you could hook it up backwards, if your talking about the #6 negitive battery cable the only way to hook it backwards would be to either mount the whole OBC backwards or have the cable twisted in a way that somehow you would have to know it isn,t right but i guess on the rare occassion that it might happen that is a good thing to know................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i wasn,t aware you could hook it up backwards, if your talking about the #6 negitive battery cable the only way to hook it backwards would be to either mount the whole OBC backwards or have the cable twisted in a way that somehow you would have to know it isn,t right but i guess on the rare occassion that it might happen that is a good thing to know................
Yes U can , it happened on here a couple years ago , the OBC goes crazy

Who would have thought HUH ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
r3voltn1
Not Yet Wild

HOLY FREAKIN SMOKES..........THANK YOU....

My cart has been down for a year now and you just help me get it going.

I got a 2004 cc used and decided to fix it up. I repainted it, jacked it up with new wheels and tires and even made me a gun rack on the back for skeet shooting trips.

...........but heres where I went wrong....

I also bought new batteries and rewired all the terminals with new ends. In doing that I clipped that Negative wire that goes through the OBC and routed around it thinking it was just for support. Thats when it started acting crazy and not charging with the battery light going nuts. I got a new charger, OBC, more rewireing, and months of scouring the web.......

Then I found this.........
Thanks so much for posting.
r3voltn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Guys, Seriously.. a cable is a cable.... What they refer to when they say this, is the direction of current flow through the OBC, that's what matters.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

CJ, Are u saying someone ran the +POS lead through the obc or
my thought was they threaded the last -NEG cabe through the OBC backwards ?(looped it)
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
CJ, Are u saying someone ran the +POS lead through the obc or
my thought was they threaded the last -NEG cabe through the OBC backwards ?(looped it)
No, What I am saying is that the OBC (NOT the Cable) is directional I could walk to my cart right now cut both ends off thread it the other way and no change. The inductive coil in the OBC is directional. In other words all OBCs have a front and a back to them.

Think of the OBC as a Door, in order to enter the room the door has to open in and you walk in. Well if you where going the other way, you wouldn't be entering the room...

Current always flows from negative to positive in all electrical situations. So from the last battery in the pack, the negative post, the wire goes from the there to the controller. Again flowing negative to positive, if the OBC is facing the wrong way or in other words negative is on the WRONG side of the Door (think of entering the room) the inductive sensor will not read the current flow.

People have been known to relocate OBCs or install them backwards, which causes this problem. Current flowing the wrong way through the OBC.

So it's all about current flow, not the actual Physical cable. Cables don't have a forward or reverse.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car