lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Jim's Red Buggy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 don't turn off

I'm a newbie tring to sort out what I think may be an electrical problem with my 1997 gas G16. It began a couple of months ago with the cart stopping running (generally started up again) but then got worse. Strangest thing I've seen with a gas engine. Run great for days and then some days off and on. My trouble shooting was at first through the fuel system and then checking and rechecking all electrical connections and fuses. Now I've got the added problem with the cart not turning off. I've even completely disconnected the switch while running and it keeps running. I tried the things craig tn suggested in a earlier post but so far nothing has been the solution. Do I have 2 problems or one? Is there a common link with the erratic running and the engine not turning off? I've had the cart high in the air with my engine hoist and have not found a bad wiring connection. I've disconnected and reconnected everything I could find. Is there a fuel issue that would keep the cart running? I've worked on cars over 35 years but this cart has me completely baffeled. HELP!!!
Jim's Red Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 don't turn off

My first thought is a bad peddle switch. Try disconnecting the two wires under the floor pan drivers side and hook a toggle switch up to them to test it.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Jim's Red Buggy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'll give that a shot again, I did try it when my problem started with a continuity light test and it lit up when the peddle was mashed down. I'll disconnect the peddle switch while running and see what happens. This "little" problem is driving me nuts.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

If it won't stop running, how do you get it to stop? Maybe that will give us some clues.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Jim's Red Buggy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Very carefully pulling the spark plug. I checked out the peddle switch and even unplugged it while running but problem wasn't cured. I did discover when doing this that if I let the rpm's drop low with the switch off I can give it gas and it stops the engine. Choking it to flood it didn't stop the engine. Sorry to write a book on every post but I don't want to confuse anyone with things I've already tried. Now I'm positive I need to know a lot more about carts. I'm wondering more than ever if it's a fuel issue or electrical.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Never heard of or delt with this type of problem so everything here would just be a best guess. You may have a bad ignition box. You need a friend that has a G16 so you can start swapping things out one at a time.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Jim's Red Buggy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, my neighbor has a yamaha so that may be the best thing to try. Mine had run perfect for over 3 years so it was time for something to happen. The fun part is always getting it fixed and finding a simple solution that you should have tried in the beginning. LOL Thanks for your effort.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Did anything change when the cart started acting up? I mean did it start acting up after installing a lift, doing other maintenance, or installing some accessory?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Jim's Red Buggy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Nope, just normal everyday driving. By the way after my last post I returned to the original problem of the erratic stopping running or not wanting to start. I have drained the fuel tank, cleaned carb and switched fuel pumps with my neighbor and checked out all 3 lines to the fuel pump. I do have vacuum from the pulsar side of the engine. Now, more fun because my son has called for help with a broken water line in the crawl space at his house. "He's" doing some major remodeling. I know I fit in there somewhere since he works 6 days a week but what are dads for anyway. I'll get back on the cart in another couple of days. I am learning by scrolling some of the other posts. I really do enjoy fixing mechanical things but somedays my head hurts from beating a wall with it.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
TNTman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am new to carts, but can help you a little in the "carefully removing spark plug wire" task. Take a medium sized cable zip tie, and cinch it down close to the plug boot. Then when you need to kill it, pull the tag end of the cable tie. I have used this countless times when the igition on a lawn mower or tractor fails, and I need a way to cut the engine while waiting for a new ignition switch to arrive.

Robin
TNTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha