lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #21
BMR2018
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Electric EZGO RXV won't move on it's own

Just tested (had it charging for a bit) pack has 53v and 52.3v at the blue wire

Grey wire temp sensor is new as it came with the charger port assy

Cla-clunk does not jerk cart. It's the solenoid (already replaced). I put my fingers around it and can feel it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BMR2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #22
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

just a weak 'click click!' eh? Sounds more like the 'Drive Fault' error condition, which can be caused by a bad controller, bad brake control module, or bad charger receptacle.

We recently dealt with a car with 'drive fault' error, and it ended up needing new batteries, one was bad. there are many causes for that error, and the symptom has you assuming the solenoid is weak/failed.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #23
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I hate to say this but I think we’re back to Bob Boyce’s comment about latching on to a diagnostic handset, and/or latching on to a service manual that has the instructions on how to test with a Digitsl Multimeter.

Your Pack measurements, to me, indicate your battery pack is fully charged and there is something else going on that is causing the controller to shut the cart down. I understand what you originally enhanced, however the problem is this: The RXV is essentially a computer on wheels and it only takes one minor glitch, to cause the motor controller to shut down the cart.

In my case, I embarked on a Danaher controller to a Curtis controller conversion only to have to work through the new Curtis controller complaining about a bunch of stuff the Danaher controller ignored. (Just a Side Note: However it taught me a lot about how an RXV works.)

My take is this; there is some power-on test that’s failing. Simple things to look at re this: Are the accelerator and brake pedals fully up? There is an encoder and switch on each of them. If they are not fully up, the motor controller will throw a fault that won’t clear until the pedals are completely up.

There is also the possibility that the controller, itself, has developed an issue.

It’s not a cheap solution but EZGO does sell a Danaher controller to Curtis controller conversion kit. I’m not suggesting you spend the money foolishly but the Danaher tooling is very hard to come by. Several of us in this forum have the equipment to debug Curtis controllers.

Just some food for thought.
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #24
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Danahar's are easy to get for us, not sure what your issues are...We get replacements for both all the time (and 99% of the RXVs we repair/service are Danahar versions, most of them 2008-09--Curtis ones and info for them are rare around here)
Old 07-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #25
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Please let me clarify. The Danaher diagnostic tooling is what I could not get. Yes the remanufactured controllers are available.

Therefore I made the choice to convert to Curtis, because I could get a Curtis handheld.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #26
BMR2018
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I thought I read that if you change controllers they need to be programmed? If it's plug and play does anyone have a recommendation where to buy a refurbished one?

Old 07-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #27
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Danahar's are easy to get for us, not sure what your issues are...We get replacements for both all the time (and 99% of the RXVs we repair/service are Danahar versions, most of them 2008-09--Curtis ones and info for them are rare around here)
Repaired Danahers are available... FSIP is a wonderful resource. If I'm going to download the memory map from a controller to use to reflash other controllers, I prefer to extract the data from a brand new controller that has no extranious data stored, such as error logs or access logs. Trying to find a "virgin" Danaher is extremly difficult this long after they were obsoleted.

I agree, I see more Danaher carts being used by people than I see the Curtis carts. Probably related to golf courses wanting to be rid of them. LOL
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #28
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

See that's the rub. We got the diagnostic handheld for the Danahar controllers (and can get more if we wanted to pay the super high price) but we cannot get OEM level Curtis handhelds if our lives depended on it. That is what irks me. So far it's not a total loss so long as customers here remain ignorant in any possibility their controller can be 'programmed' to go well over 35 MPH instead of 20.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #29
BMR2018
Not Yet Wild

I'll obviously not hold anyone responsible.....but I'm at a crossroads. I need a nudge. Do I buy a refurbished controller $500-$800 when I'm not positive it's the cause.

Does anyone know a place in Washington State where I can get it diagnosed/scanned?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #30
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

EZGO makes available the service manual for about $80 bucks. In it are the instructions fo using the hand held programmer AND how to test with a Digital Multi Meter (Volt & Ohm meter). If you have a DMM / DVM my suggestion is that yo go that route first. It will enable you to rule out a throttle or brake issues, before spending the money on a controller.

In my case I had a brake switch that sorta went bad. The specs on the switches are to have less than 1 ohm of resistance. In my case this switch was 8 years old and was reading 7 ohms of resistance. The controller was throwing an HDP SEQUENCING FAULT error.

The only reason I share this is to suggest that you make sure the switches & encoders are within spec before you spend the money on a controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO