lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Driving Long Distances

Good morning everyone. I have a 2003 PDS 36v with Alltrax xct500 and admiral B2 motor and 7 month old batteries. Just wondering how far I can (or should) drive with the pedal fully down. On flat ground, the top speed is a hair over 20mph and the rpm doesnt go above 4000rpm but down hill, I reach speeds of 27 and RPM is unknown (didnt have my monitor hooked up but RPM limit is set at 6000). I took it on a 2.5 trip on road with mild up and down hills. My controller fan never kicked on and my motor was still cool to the touch.

My question is: Is it ok for the cart to drive long distances without stopping? I know Golf Carts are designed for 300yrd sprints and not long runs.

Also, my cart was fully charged when I left this morning. Pack voltage just over 38v. I drove 2.5 miles, cart sat for an hour, and drove back another 2.5 miles. When I got back, motor was fairly cool and pack voltage was 36.6. I thought that seemed low. I checked the voltage again 10 minutes later and it was back to 37.3. How did the voltage increase without being hooked up to the charger?

Thanks in advance.
wbhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Driving Long Distances

If the cart does a bit over 20MPH at 4000RPM, the tires are about 22" tall, so at about 27MPH going downhill, the motor is spinning at about 5200RPM.

20MPH on level ground sounds a bit slow for an Admiral B2 with a 36V battery pack.
What field map is loaded in the XCT?
What tire pressure?

There are a lot of variables that determine if it is okay to drive with foot on floor for long distances. The major factor being how low the field is weakened and how many amps the armature draws at top speed. Weakening the field increases max RPM, but the motor efficiency takes a nosedive, so the amps turning into heat rather than torque is higher and the motor gets hotter.

If your motor isn't getting too hot to touch after 2.5 miles at top speed, you ought to be pretty safe driving it further at top speed. Every cart setup is different, so get a IR thermometer and take the motor's temperature every couple miles to determine how far is safe. Stay under 200°F.

------------
Battery voltage drops almost instantly amps are drawn, but recovers very slowly. In fact, the full recover time is over an hour, but it is nonlinear and 15 minutes is about 85% recovered while 30 minutes is about 92% recovered.

You mentioned about 10 minutes, so you had about 73% recovery. Or at least something along those lines, the % vs times I gave are for my battery pack, your batteries will be different.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Driving Long Distances

JohnnieB...The map installed is RHMOT-B2-V4 and not sure of tire pressure (its high enough that there isnt any give in the sidewalls).

In a thread that I started a couple months ago, it was mentioned that the B2 is a torque motor and 20-22mph (which is roughly what I obtain on the flats) is normal. I have 20 A/T" tires. The 4000rpm from before was just an estimate. I'm not sure of the exact rpm.

I initially had the stock PDS map on my xct500 with the B2 and my cart was doing 26-27 on the same stretch I currently running 20-22.

FWIW, you are the man when it comes to all this stuff. I love reading all your technical responses to the threads on this site.
wbhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO