lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Eyao1124
Not Yet Wild

Default Calling all who installed auxiliary battery for accessories

Hi all. I’m looking to install a separate 12v battery to power an under glow kit on my 14 TXT. I know some of you will say to just use a reducer but I’d prefer to go with an external power source. Can those who have the aux battery share which brand works best, how you wired it (did you add an additional switch to cut power when not in use?), etc? Also, I read that some of you have created a home brew charger for the aux battery. Can you share a how to? Sorry for the questions - the mrs wants them for Halloween and the kiddies .
Eyao1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Calling all who installed auxiliary battery for accessories

I have a separate 12v battery. It wasn't any special brand, but it is pretty big. Can't be sure but I think it is a Type 27. On my 2011 TXT48 there was an open space under the driver side of the seat and I just put it there.

I put a small fuse block like are used for boats under there. Then I ran power to the radio without a switch so as to keep the memory function, but all the rest of the items have switches and these you don't want on all the time anyway. Headlights and tail lights, 12v outlet with USB 5v outlet, underbody glow, etc.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh, I also used Electro Luminescent wire for my Halloween deco on the cart. Kids liked that.

Now that I've switched to lithium cells, I also switched my 12v aux battery to lithium cells. But the wiring is the same, goes from 12v + directly to fuse block.

DO NOT ground to the frame, golf cart's aren't like cars. Run a 12v+ and 12v- wire for each accessory.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #4
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I run the same setup as Bronsonj. I have my aux battery in the space under the drivers side seat. All accessories are wired to a marine fuse/distribution block. I charge it once a week via battery tender.
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Eyao1124
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. Have pics of your setup? Also, are you running clips to your terminals to charge?
Eyao1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Granted I have a CC DS and the set up is different , but I moved two batteries forward and added my 12 volt Duracell RV/ Marine sealed battery. I run power to a Blu-sea fuse block with ground , then all my accesories power though that . I use a simple battery tender that I plug in everytime I charge the cart . No seperate on/off switch when not in use .

pics here : http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/album.php?albumid=2817
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The 12v battery is at the top of the picture in front of the gray finned box. It is a glass mat maintenance free power chair type battery. I just moved the carts' 12v system to that battery. Cart has a factory light/horn system and a factory installed fuse block mounted above the gray box on the inner fender. The gray box is a Polyplanar marine amp for the carts' basic low power sound system.
The little battery can run the sound system pretty much all day. I've never run the lights more than about 45 minutes at a time. It probably doesn't have enough capacity for multiple high draw 12v accessories.
The first battery I tried was a lawn mower battery. Lasted about a year and was a mistake. I'm on my second power chair battery now. First one lasted 5+ years. I charge it with a small $30 charger from walmart. ($30 then, probably $50 now). The charger came with a quick connect as shown.

I installed this years ago. If I were to do it now I would use a converter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0801.jpg (350.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg charger quuick connect.jpeg (22.2 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
LowesChevy48
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a battery I had laying around work.. just put in the space under drivers side of seat. I strapped it down and charge it with a battery tender
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9CD98E8A-B1C2-4852-8A93-371DD477D7E2.jpg (170.7 KB, 0 views)
LowesChevy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO