lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #11
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 12 volt hook up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Yes yawood I think I wrongly assumed he would install a relay tied in with the key switch. And I'm with you on not powering it from the key switch.
Thanks to you both... Will go with the 5 wire setup to be sure it's done right the first time.
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #12
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good thinking. The 5-wire solution is the best way to go.

The 48V power should be:

+48V to the positive terminal of the battery pack with a fuse close to the battery.

-48V to the B- of the controller (on the Precedent there is a black cable with a yellow bullet connector behind the batteries - I'm not sure if that is there on the DS)

The reason for this is so that the OBC can tell how much the reducer is taking and run the charger sufficiently to put it back. If you have by-passed your OBC then it doesn't matter and you can just hook up to the pack -ve.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 PM   #13
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Good thinking. The 5-wire solution is the best way to go.

The 48V power should be:

+48V to the positive terminal of the battery pack with a fuse close to the battery.

-48V to the B- of the controller (on the Precedent there is a black cable with a yellow bullet connector behind the batteries - I'm not sure if that is there on the DS)

The reason for this is so that the OBC can tell how much the reducer is taking and run the charger sufficiently to put it back. If you have by-passed your OBC then it doesn't matter and you can just hook up to the pack -ve.
Thanks for that additional clarification on the hook up of the -48v wire on the reducer. The cart is new to me and bone stock from what I can tell so all the components are there as far as I know.

I'll be seeing it live for the first time tomorrow so this will make for a fun project.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:15 AM   #14
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Attachment 209895
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlands57 View Post
Thanks for that additional clarification on the hook up of the -48v wire on the reducer. The cart is new to me and bone stock from what I can tell so all the components are there as far as I know.

I'll be seeing it live for the first time tomorrow so this will make for a fun project.
It will be a fun project and you sound like you want to do it correctly so here are some pictures and diagrams you can follow and a couple of suggestions.

The first picture shows the attachments in the battery area. I recommend a 10A or 15A fuse if you are using a 30A reducer (the reducer puts out 30A at 12V so that is 12x30=360 watt reducer so the input will be 48x?=360 which is 7.5A). So your wiring on the 12V side needs to carry a max of 30A and on the 48V side a max of 7.5A. If you use a 10A or 15A fuse that will protect your wiring.

The wiring to the accessories is best put through a fused distribution box. The second photo shows what I mean (all the positives are fused and the negatives all collect on the negative buss). Your accessories should each have their own negative wire which goes back to the negative buss. You never use the chassis as an earth return as you would on a car. Also this keeps the 12V wiring isolated from the 48V wiring in the cart.

The diagram summarizes this.

Have fun and be as neat as you can, it will help if you need to trace the wiring in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: png Voltage Reducer Wiring 5-wire.png (17.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2542 with text medium coloured.jpg (212.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 12V distribution labelled.jpg (429.0 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #15
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Attachment 209895

It will be a fun project and you sound like you want to do it correctly so here are some pictures and diagrams you can follow and a couple of suggestions.

The first picture shows the attachments in the battery area. I recommend a 10A or 15A fuse if you are using a 30A reducer (the reducer puts out 30A at 12V so that is 12x30=360 watt reducer so the input will be 48x?=360 which is 7.5A). So your wiring on the 12V side needs to carry a max of 30A and on the 48V side a max of 7.5A. If you use a 10A or 15A fuse that will protect your wiring.

The wiring to the accessories is best put through a fused distribution box. The second photo shows what I mean (all the positives are fused and the negatives all collect on the negative buss). Your accessories should each have their own negative wire which goes back to the negative buss. You never use the chassis as an earth return as you would on a car. Also this keeps the 12V wiring isolated from the 48V wiring in the cart.

The diagram summarizes this.

Have fun and be as neat as you can, it will help if you need to trace the wiring in the future.
Perfect, thank you very much for this. I'll organize it all as you suggest, much appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car