lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #1
Jwade79
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rear shock absorber not reaching top mount bracket

I am working on installing new rear shock absorbers on my txt.

I’ve already installed HD leaf springs.

When I go to install the top portion of the absorber, there is a gap of prob 1/2” or so between the bushing and mounting bracket. I’ve tried turning it but appears be at its limit. I’ve also tried sitting on the rear number area and still not enough thread above mount bracket to install.

The series of the my bushings/washers that I thought was correct is the following:

- top of rear shock
- washer
- bushing
- mounting bracket
- bushing
- washer
- nut
- nut

Should both bushings be below the mounting bracket instead of one below and one above the bracket?

Thank you for any help!
Jwade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear shock absorber not reaching top mount bracket

Should have a bushing on top and below mounting bracket.
Suspect heavy duty springs have risen the ride Hite pass the length of the shocks extended travel.
Longer shocks or shock extenders would be needed otherwise shocks are not dampening ride. Ride would only be determined by rear spring pressure that my guess would be firm.
Reason I went to duel action springs. Ride height stayed the same but as rear weight increased, added leafs came into play and absorbed load such as adding people in rear seat.

Since rarely do I have rear passengers. Cart rides smoother as it would with regular springs. HTH 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:14 PM   #3
Jwade79
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I keep hearing that the rear absorbers are not needed at all if you have HD leaf springs. This also apparently improves the ride
Jwade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Shocks do not determine ride height . That unless springs are such that they increase ride height higher then the extended stroke of the “stock” shocks travel.
Shocks are only meant to “ dampen” the up and down movement of suspension.

Example. If you removed the rear shocks on your car. Ride height would remain the same as it was with shocks. But as you ride down the road rear of car would bounce up and down uncontrollably as there would be no “dampening”of movement thus less controllable ride.

The longer the suspension travel in rear of car. The more noticeable the bouncing.
Hope that helps explain why shocks are used on suspension systems. 😊

In your case use a shock with a longer stroke or springs with less arc.

Removing shocks will never improve the ride as there would be no means of controlling stored energy of the springs. Ride will still be extra firm but just allow suspension to go from compression (like when going over bumps)to uncompressed quickly being undampened by the dampening action of shock.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy duty leaf springs, install, rear shock absorber, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO