lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
Arizona Cowboy
Not Yet Wild

Default Help, my 2005 EZGO gas TXT (MCI) is leaking something!

I have a fluid coming out of my 2005 EZGO gas TXT (MCI) golf cart. It is making a puddle on the ground under the rear chunk and it is all over the main drive belt. However, I think the reason it is dripping off the rear diff. is likely just because it is the lowest point.

It is not motor oil, as the oil level in the engine stays consistent, and this is heavier weight anyways. Also, I don't think it is the rear diff. chuck, because I opened the fill bolt on that, and some actually came out, so it was overfilled, and it has been leaking a while, so seems like the level would have been low, not high, if this was what was leaking.

So I suppose this leaves the CVT transmission? How do I check the lubricant in that, and refill it to the correct level, and where is the leak likely within it? - I have no idea how to add oil to the CVT or how to check the fluid level or the correct type to use, and did not find this info in the service manual.

I am asking here, because golf carts, just like cars and everything else have "pattern-failure" i.e. I am probably the 100,000th person to experience this exact leak on a 2005-2007 generation gas TXT and so it's likely to be same answer you guys probably recognized it to be a bazillion times before.
Arizona Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2022, 03:13 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Help, my 2005 EZGO gas TXT (MCI) is leaking something!

There’s only 3 fluids in this cart.

Engine oil
Rear differential oil
Gasoline.

It has to be one of the three. Does the engine oil smell like fuel? It’s possible the carb is in need of service. They can flood and drain fuel into the intake, which will seep past the piston rings and into the engine oil. Then it will overfill the engine oil usually… unless you have a leak that’s keeping it at “level”

Totally a shot in the dark guess and probably wrong

Or the overfilled rear axle is leaking out the vent or somewhere because it is/was overfilled. Also a possibility.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:58 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

Or the overfilled rear axle is leaking out the vent or somewhere because it is/was overfilled. Also a possibility.
This is what I was thinking. Probably leaking out because it's over filled. It's not supposed to run out when you take the fill plug out, usually 1/2" below that level. See if it's coming out of the rear axles near the brake drums. This cart has what we call a "transaxle" meaning, the rear diff/axle/transmission are all in one unit. The oil plug you removed is likely the fill plug.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
Arizona Cowboy
Not Yet Wild

It seems like thick fluid is being slung by the drive belt, everything on the underside is covered. The diff fluid has not been touched in years, and then this leak started. I did remove the fill bolt to check the fluid, but only AFTER the leaking had started and gotten everywhere, and when I did remove the fill bolt, a big amount of fluid ran out when I removed the fill bolt, so I am assuming it was considerably overfilled, long ago, but why would fluid be leaking all over the place only now, after years?
Old 04-29-2022, 08:56 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Clean everything up really really well with brake cleaner and take it for a short drive. Then look and see what’s wet.

If I were a betting man I’d guess I put shaft seal. But that’s purely just a guess based on you saying the drive belt slung it all over. Not sure how else it would get on the belt if it isn’t from there
Old 04-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
Arizona Cowboy
Not Yet Wild

However, your original theory may be contributory to the mess as well, as I just smelled the dipstick, and it is indeed a bit gassy
Old 04-29-2022, 10:01 PM   #7
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you nincompoops there is oil in the primary cvt drive and there is a seal on the shaft in the middle of the cvt drive
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:30 PM   #8
Arizona Cowboy
Not Yet Wild

where can I add fluid to the CVT drive? - and what type to I need? - how involved of a job is replacing the shaft seal?
Old 04-29-2022, 11:08 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Cowboy View Post
where can I add fluid to the CVT drive? - and what type to I need? - how involved of a job is replacing the shaft seal?
I use 30w non detergent engine oil.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:38 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Cowboy View Post
There is no oil in the CVT.

Trig is referring to the transaxle/rear end. 30W should be fine for that, I believe that’s what the manual calls for.

Pay no attention to anything Leon Willis says, look at his other posts. He’s obviously here for nothing other than to try and start problems. I’d just block him and his posts won’t show up.

Clean everything really well and drive it. That’s the best thing you can do. Drive it a little bit, half mile maybe and stop to inspect. Keep doing that until you see it start to leak from somewhere. This is the only way to chase down a leak, anything else we could suggest is just speculation and random guesses/possibilities.

Tags
gas, leak, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO