lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
nalley1952
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 No Power

I've got a 91 club car V-Glide. Just replaced the batteries have charged them and car will only go about 100' on flat ground. I've charged them several times and still only get the same performance. I can jack the rear up and it will run fine but under load nothing. I understand that there is a break in period for the batteries but I should be able to go more than a 100 feet before they totally run out of torque. I have taken each cable off and cleaned both ends on all the wires and put them right back on so I don't have any bad connections. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?
nalley1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 No Power

you need to test each battery's cell with a HYDROMETER. available at most auto stores for about $5.

even with new batteries (and you did not mention what voltage or type..or where you got them from ) it is possible to have a defective battery which is pulling down the whole group
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

this sounds like a battery problem, could be 1 battery dragging it down................even new 1 could be bad............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is possible to get a bad new battery, but It's very rare. Here's my guess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalley1952 View Post
I've got a 91 club car V-Glide. Just replaced the batteries have charged them and car will only go about 100' on flat ground. I've charged them several times and still only get the same performance. I can jack the rear up and it will run fine but under load nothing. I understand that there is a break in period for the batteries but I should be able to go more than a 100 feet before they totally run out of torque. I have taken each cable off and cleaned both ends on all the wires and put them right back on so I don't have any bad connections. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?
My guess is something didn't get wired up correctly when you replaced the batteries. Several things can go wrong and produce the results you posted...
1. the batteries are not all installed in series. check to see that all the batts are connected positive to negative through the pack. Having one in backwards is like having 5 batteries.
2. Main power leads on the wrong battery. Check with a voltmeter. Verify that the cart is getting 36+ volts.
3. Charger not connected to all 6 batteries. Check the voltage at the charger receptacle to verify the charger is charging all 6 and not just 5 of the batteries.
Let us know what you find.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's also very easy to install a 6Volt battery backwards if you're not paying attention. Make sure they're wired properly.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i have lost count at the # of carts i have seen with a battery or 2 put in backwards.................................
Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
nalley1952
Not Yet Wild

ok update. I've been on midnights so sorry it took this long to get back.

all batteries are good. I've got 36v all the way across. Still no power! It will barely creep along. I can put one foot down and stop it from moving.

Any ideas as what to check next?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the batteries are good and the connections and cables are good then it could be a throttle input problem.

Open the V-glide and with the key off, cart in neutral see that the wiper goes all the way to the top terminal and is making good clean contact all the way up.

V-glide = resistor coils. When cool, physically check all the resistor coils for breakage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
nalley1952
Not Yet Wild

I checked it's got full range across all the contacts in there. The contacts are clean. The V Glide coils are all fine.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalley1952 View Post
ok update. I've been on midnights so sorry it took this long to get back.

all batteries are good. I've got 36v all the way across. Still no power! It will barely creep along. I can put one foot down and stop it from moving.

Any ideas as what to check next?
if they are new batteries and you only have 36 volts that indicates to me something with the batteries.......new fully charged batteries should give you a reading closer to 39 volts.........have you load tested each battery? if not i would......have you checked each cell with a hydrometer? i would.......all things considered if everything was done right and cart ran ok before changing them you have a battery problem........theres nothing else there.........................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car